Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Monday, December 10, 2007

The SO-Early Phone Call...

It's the funniest thing....

I've always been a walker. I love to walk. People are always, "Why can't we just jump in a cab?" And I'll be like, "But it's only a 20 minute walk!"

Part of the problem is that I'm a really fast walker. And I mean really fast.

But, anyway...

I was walking The Dictator to school everymorning and enjoying it...(Although the looks from strangers, when I was walking back home with her empty stroller, with only a Starbucks cup in the seat, as opposed to an actual toddler or baby, somewhat made me feel a little crazy...)

The weather turned cold. I had to start to drive her to school. Because that wind tunnel at Bloor and Ave is miserable.

And, I tell you, I'm back at home by 8:30 a.m. thanks to this quick drive.

By the time I'm home, I've already gotten three messages on my cell phone.

These, of course, are from my other mommy friends, who have just dropped their kids off from school.

I don't know what it is about these early morning phone calls. But I love them. I had no idea I had it in me to be so gossipy before 9 a.m.

But I do have it in me. And I love these phone calls. You can't really talk to your mother friends in the evenings, once they are with their kids. Or when I'm with mine.

Because mostly my conversations with friends go like this, "Oh she just spilled her juice. I got to go wipe it up....oh now she wants a bandaid....oh now she doesn't like her mushy grape....oh now she has just taken off all her clothes...I think I should just go. Call me tomorrow at 8:35 a.m.!"

Some of my best conversations now happen before 9 a.m.

Oh, wait....my phone is ringing...It's my best friend who just dropped off her kids....It's 9 a.m.

5 Comments:

Blogger chichimama said...

Yep. My closest friends and I talk between 7:30 and 9:30...

And being a fast walker has its benefits! I'm a huge fan.

6:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're hilarious!

6:53 PM

 
Blogger citta.poplin said...

i'll have to keep that in mind. the best time to hit up some mommy friends is the morning. wait a second, why would i be up that early???

3:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious - what did you end up getting Rowan's teachers?

1:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you are making me miss my days in Cairo.
I would drop off my kids at school, call several friends on my cell phone while briskly walking back to our flat and then meet a few of them for coffee. And then of course we would talk about our kids and complain about our husbands. Cheaper than therapy! Life was good:)

9:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home