Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Want your toddler to be a star?

Or at least a mini-star....or at least have their name in a published book? Or at least have something for the scrapbook?

As some of you know I'm hard at work - ok, I'm at work - on my next book, coming out in late summer, called "Toddlers Gone Wild."

I'm just joking. I mean, I'm joking about the "work" part.

I'm actually really hard at work on it. So hard at work that I haven't been able to blog...or find time to eat (so, yes, dear readers, I've been living on apple juice boxes and animal crackers. You know how it is.)

Without giving too much away, I'm writing essays - some short and sweet, perfect reading before bed, or when you find ten minutes of alone time while raising your toddlers. Other essays will be longer. But you'll all be able to relate with the collection. And laugh along with me (and sometimes "at" me.)

I thought it might be a fun idea to have a page before each essay with something along the lines of, "Quotable Toddler Quotes." Or, "Real Life Conversations with My Toddler."

I have many essays. And many priceless mini-conversations with my own toddler, Rowan. The kind of conversation where you're left shaking your head, thinking "My toddler is a spaz! Seriously, she's a spaz!"

However, I thought it would be even more fun to include my mommy blogger readers/friends.

How?

By getting you to send me your short and priceless conversations with your own toddler(s.)

Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

Rowan: “Daddy has a pee-nuth.”
Me: “Right.”
Rowan: “I don’t have a pee-nuth.”
Me: “No. You have a vagina.”
Rowan: “And you don’t have a pee-nuth.”
Me: “Right.”
Rowan: “I’m going to go look at daddy’s pee-nuth now. Bye!”
Me: “OK. Have fun. See you later.”

Obviously they don't have to be that graphic and maybe that's not my very best example. But you see the length of the conversations I'm looking for and the idea.

And I'll include your child's name and age, and your own name, under the quotes/conversation.

Then, in 12 years, you'll have something to embarass the crap out of your child with! (Just at the same time they're completely embarassed of you.)

And think how proud the grandparents will be to see their grandchild's name in a published book!

And, let's face it, who doesn't love the funny things toddlers say? Honestly, once a day, at least, I find myself telling friends the quotes and conversations I had with my toddler.

So, if you're interested, please send me your "Quotable Toddler Quotes" or "Real Life Conversations" to:

rebeccaeckler@yahoo.com

State clearly that you give me permission to use your full name, and your child's full name (And what your name and your child's name is) and the age when they said what they said, and a contact phone number.

And I'll pick the cutest/funniest/sweetest ones.

And voila! The memory in print forever!

I can't wait to read them!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol lol lol Thanks for that bit of your own conversation with Rowan.... that totally made my morning!

7:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,

I just finished your book which was hilarious! I don't have kids but still find you very entertaining I can't wait for your next one. I was just curious if that was a picture of "the dictator" on the cover?

thanks
-becca

8:36 PM

 
Blogger Kristin said...

Hello,
I'm a young Toronto writer/journalist with big aspirations and I have just read about a dozen of your entries. I found this blog today as well: http://rocrebelgranny.blogspot.com/

I'm not a parent (yet) but I have spent a ton of time as an aunt, a babysitter, a PSW (personal support worker) and a facilitator to kids with special needs. I was really inspired by Roc Rebel Granny's blog. Maybe you would be too. (You should check out the "all about granny" link on the right to understand the context of her posts.)

Penny

2:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought Wiped! and I'm already addicted! I love your writing! You're hilarious!

3:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how long is rebeccaeckler.com going to be "coming soon"?

5:27 PM

 
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

That convo with your daughter was hysterical. I can't wait for my toddler to start speaking full sentences. I can't wait to see what comes out of his mouth!

4:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home