Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A day in the life of me....

*Some* people have spent way too much time obsessing about me and my life in the last few days. Or so I've heard.

So, I've decided to write about my day yesterday. In fact, I think this could be quite fun for bloggers. Just simply write out what you did yesterday. So here goes and feel free to share your day!

7 a.m. Get up with child. Watch her eat breakfast. Say goodbye to her. She ignores me as she's watching Dora the Explorer while eating rice for breakfast. I tell her I love her. She ignores me. I yell "I love you!" She looks up, finally, and says, "I love you."

7:50 a.m. Arrive at gym. Walk/jog on treadmill for ten minutes.

8 a.m. Meet trainer, also known as Fit Pete, because he's super fit and the meanest trainer I've ever had, which is a good thing. I swear, in between lifting weights, I get a nine second break. NINE SECONDS! That's it!

9 a.m. Finish workout. Fit Pete makes me a protein shake, which are so good. It's one of the main reasons I go see Fit Pete. For the Chocolate/banana protein shake that I get after workout.

9:15 a.m. Wonder if I should go to office or take an "emotional" day off.

9:16 a.m. Decide to go to office.

9:17 a.m. Decide to take "emotional day" off.

9:35 a.m Get back home. Play around with Ruby the Nine Pound dog. Dog Camp picks her up. Kiss her goodbye.

9:45: Talk on phone with friends to catch up, moan about life, listen to them moan about their lives.

10:45 Finish protein shake. My stomach feels like I ate a rock.

11:50 a.m: Daughter comes home from school. We play around with her stuffed animals. Nanny fixes her lunch. I eat a left over wrap from day before.

noon: Check out movie listings. Decide to take daughter to a movie. After all, I have taken an "emotional day" off. Look for movies rated 'G.'

3 p.m. Take daughter to mall, where we hit Chapter's to check out books and buy her a dress up princess dress. (Ahh, the things you can get at Chapters, that aren't books!)

3:45 p.m. Take her to HMV to buy new DVD's because I'm so sick of the ones she has. Realize it's time to get new DVD's when you know all the words to theme songs to Holly Hobby and Strawberry Shortcake.

4:30: Head to movie theatre. We're seeing Surf's Up.

4:40 p.m movie starts. Realize that a child's size popcorn is the perfect amount to eat, without feeling sick after. Feel good that I, at least, learned something today.

6 ish. Movie ends. I loved it. Daughter, I think, liked it. Although half way through movie she tells me, "Mommy, penquins can't surf!" I tell her they can. She says they can't. Wonder if daughter will ever believe in tooth fairy if she already realizes penquins can't surf.

6: 45 at home. Make daughter noodles for dinner. Friend of family comes over. We play around. Daughter puts on new princess dress. We play, "Going to the Ball." I'm the prince (because I'm not wearing a dress so I'm not "allowed" to be a princess.)

7:45 p.m. Get her ready for bed. She screams she doesn't want to wear pull ups anymore. I tell her that's not cool, because the night before we triend the whole "no night time pull up thing" and she screamed at 2:30 a.m. "I'm wet! I'm wet!" And she was, so was her bed. Mommy had to change everything at 2:30 in the friggen morning. So we're back to nighttime pull ups.

8:30: Decide to rewatch ending of Sopranos while eating leftover pizza from two nights before. Because I'm not sure I liked it or not the first time around. The Soprano series finale, that is. Decide I do like it. (the pizza and the Soprano ending.)

(in between watching, I needed to go see daughter upstairs 12 times for various reasons, ranging from "I've got to pee," to, "I don't know what I wanted," to "I fell off the bed.")

Finish Sopranos around 10:30 p.m. beacause of running up and down stairs so many times. Decide I did two work outs, because running up and down stairs twelve times must count as some sort of work out. I eat a kit kat bar. Ok, I ate two kit kat bars, but they were the mini ones, so I only feel slightly bad about it.

11 p.m. get ready for bed. Brush teeth, wash face. change.

Get to bed. Decide I can't sleep. Head downstairs. Decide I am tired. Go back upstairs.

And that was my day. Interesting, huh?

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete Estabrooks?? I've heard he's an excellent trainer and have been thinking of hiring him for a few sessions. Your thoughts?

1:16 PM

 
Blogger ninepounddictator said...

that is him.
awesome.

1:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so happy someone else liked the ending of the sopranos!

4:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surf's Up was an awesome movie. I'm so excited for the 'Nancy Drew' one this weekend!

4:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a perfect day!

5:48 AM

 
Blogger Laural Dawn said...

Okay, so this made me want to take an emotional day off and go see a movie with my son (honestly, at my office we get "work life balance days")
But ... then I realized my boss reads your blog and would probably catch on!
And ... I laughed about the Princess thing. I actually have my very own princess dress for just such an occassion (it's a stunning coral gauzy number. Tacky, but my nieces love it) You are more than welcome to borrow it anytime :)

8:07 AM

 
Blogger Peri-freakin-menopause said...

I took my 2.5 year old to a movie recently and she fell asleep during the opening previews! I figured since I paid already, I may as well stay and watch... so much for that outing.

9:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like an awesome day. Especially the kit kats. I'd kill for a few of those right now.

12:51 PM

 
Blogger Julie said...

Sounds like you had a good day. Glad to hear the movie is good - planning on taking my oldest to it this weekend.

12:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your diet is crap.

8:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow sounds very eventful! I have to tell you that I went to a mall everyday this week and bought myself a YOGEN FRUZ and I've lost 2 lbs. I can't believe it! It's my new diet. It's my new meal replacement. My favourite is strawberry,raspberry, peach!Non-fat yogurt with Probiotics. Love it! I'm addicted. I think I'm gonna call the guys that own it and tell them about this new diet of mine!!

6:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has your Rowan seen Shrek yet?

3:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny. made me laugh and I did enjoy reading about your day. Note to self: get nanny and trainer.

3:24 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds a lot like a regular day in the life of a Mom...and a lot like the kinda days I often have...at least all that running up and down the stairs to kids anyway!

8:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you?

7:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, I love your writing and stories and I am sad that you are not posting, whatever the reason is. You are missed!

10:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great day, I need a day like this, though reading your blog helps me a lot.

Hey what did you and the dictator due on Father's Day?

Michelle

2:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca -
We miss you! Don't let all the garbage of other people's insecurities get you down and stop blogging. There are so many stay at home moms who love to read your blog!

10:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wtf is an "emotional" day off? AND you have a nanny?

good lord, woman - get over yourself.

5:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, no one else did it, so I thought I would, so here goes, a day in my life:

11am (yes, 11am) I wake up to my own little dictator whispering repeatedly like a broken record "What's That, what's that, what's that, what's that..."
This was her first sentence and she's been hooked on it for 2 months.

11:15am Changing horribly disgusting diaper, Elora (my dictator) reaches down, grabs it, and rubs her hands in it and the diaper lands on newly washed Duvet cover

11:30am, washing duvet cover

11:35, washing child (my priorities are questionable)

12pm feeding Elora, Elora is feeding the cat, the cat is rather enjoying this till I kick cats butt across living room

12:05 sweeping kitchen floor which now looks like someone had a party with hot dog/cheese stick/cherrio confetti

1pm trying to watch tv, daugther makes a better brick wall then a window

2pm, Elora has a new word, "Ewwww" now she has been repeating it almost non-stop for an hour after hearing it on Hannah Montana, (yes, on Disney, I can't help it, I don't want to watch and strangely, I can't look away)

3pm, counting seconds till my husband Steve gets home

3:01 still waiting

3:02 still waiting

3:03 well, you get the point

3:30 thoughts of putting my daugther in a box and shipping her to Korea cross my mind, this is when I know it's nap time. (she's 15 months old by the way, and yes, I already own a box she can fit in, and no, I haven't tried this... yet.)

3:45pm, my husband is home, I'm instantly wondering why it was that I wanted him to come home in the first place.

3:50pm, talked him into changing daiper, I promised to get the next, that is sooo not happening

5pm, other child is home, Rebekah, she has ADHD, 8 yrs old, she makes freddy krugger look like Strawberry Shortcake. Seriously.

6pm I am ready to jump of nearest bridge. Husband is convienced that my "job" is "easy" daugther (oldest) is convienced I do nothing my eat grapes and let Elora rub my feet all day, Elora convienced that I suck, and Dada is savior of all. I am cooking and cleaning and trying to get everything ready. All other memebers of my home are watching tv.

6:30 dinner ready, no one says thanks. I start wondering if they would notice if I just made a run for it.

8pm, Rebekah's bedtime. Hallelujah.

10pm, Elora's bed time - yeah right

12am - Elora finally falls asleep, I let her get in bed with us and she kisses me right on the mouth, drool and all, but thankfully no tongue. She gives me a hug patting me on the back and says "awwwww" I tell her that I love her (I call her Pookie Bear which I'm sure she'll kill me for in the future)

1am, I'm finally able to be in the quiet, watch tv while husband sleeps, and I realize there will never be enough time with my family and my little baby girl is getting older much faster then I wanted her to, and I am so blessed I have them all in my life. Till tomorrow that is! ;)

~Marye

6:07 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I couldn't help but share my day after I read about yours. My husband and I are trying to have a baby. As it turns out, I need to pee on an ovulator test stick every morning to find out when "I've got eggs". My husband anxiously awaits my pee test news every morning. I feel like a such chicken.

Our waiting and peeing finally gave us the green light the other day. So, natually, my husband felt we should get cracking immediately. Here's how my day went.

7:30AM - The husband makes his first "deposit". I get to lay with my ass elevated for at least 30 minutes.

10:30AM - The husband thinks it'd be good to make another "deposit" before we goto the Cubs game.

Is this starting to seem like work or is it just me?

12:30PM - We goto Cubs game.

2:00PM - We leave Cubs game. Thankfully they're winning.

2:15PM - We find a bar that serves German beer. We stop for some refreshments.

4:00PM - The husband wants to make another "deposit". Aren't we taking this a little seriously?

4:30PM - I have to lay with my ass elevated again?!?!?

6:00PM - We goto movie store to get some movies.

8:00PM - He wants to make another "deposit". Jesus Fucking Christ!!! This isn't speed dating for my eggs. I'm sure that at least one sperm out of 500,000 million could have a successful "meet and greet"?!?

8:09PM - I watch What Women Want while the husband makes another "deposit". I wish my bank account had this much coming into it.

10:00PM - Guess who wants to try again? Adoption is looking sooo good right now. I am not a sperm recepticle.

10:01PM - I call my friend and we make plans to meet for margaritas.

12:30AM - I get home and the husband wakes up to ask if I want another "deposit". Just shoot me.

3:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home