Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Blogger Guilt

Ok, so I have Jewish guilt - about everything - and mommy guilt - about everything - and now blogger guilt.

I've been such a bad blogger. I swear, I keep saying to myself, "Ok, I have to blog about that!" And then, well, life gets in the way and then I feel guilty and then I eat a Big Mac to try and make myself feel better and then I'm just left feeling guilty - and bloated.

Anyway, I've started the book tour for Wiped! Life with a pint-size dictator and that's pretty much taking up all my time. I did get to go to Halifax, which I loved. At least the one night I was there and the next morning when I was on their breakfast television show, and then a newspaper interview, and then a radio interview.

You know when you're so busy you actually dread going to bed, because you know what you have to face the next day? That's the point I'm in right now. I don't want to go to bed because I don't want to wake up the next day. Which is hard, because when you have super busy days, what you need most is sleep...but it will all be over soon enough...

I think being on a book tour is kind of like getting married.....there's so much planning and anticipation and so much detail that has to go into everything that you actually forget to have a bit of fun.

I kind of feel like I'm the bride who doesn't have fun at her own wedding, except I'm the author who isn't having any fun during her book tour.

So, starting right this second, I'm going to start having fun. I have this book launch next week and, gosh darnnit, I'm going to make myself have fun. I will be the bride who has fun at her wedding come hell or high water!

Last time I had a book launch party, not only was I as sick as a dog, but it was also the season finale of the O.C. That was back when the O.C was totally hot and actually good, so most of the night I spent wondering if I was going to be home in time to see the finale (this was also before TiVo....and I had yet to figure out my VCR.)

In fact, it's kind of cool, when I think about it, that I never learned to work my VCR and now it turns out I will never have to learn...see? Everyone who thought I was a total freak for not figuring out how to work a VCR over ten years was wrong. I didn't need to learn!

In the midst of book tour madness, the weather is fucking freezing in Toronto. I so did not pack right for this weather. I thought, hey, it's April, I can get away with wearing tank tops. Which is what I packed. A lot of tank tops.

I so can not get away with wearing tank tops. Which means I had to go shopping (A serious emergency!) Trying to find sweaters in stores in April is hard enough. It's impossible.

But in the midst of all this book-tour-can't-find-any-winter-sweaters-in-stores-for-me, The Dictator has decided that she will ONLY wear tights and dresses nowadays.

I swear to god, I take her every morning to the Tim Horton's one block from my house to get me a coffee and her some timbits, and it's like she's dressing for her prom. She...needs...to....wear...tights...and...a...dress..to...get...timbits.

Try reasoning with a three-year old that it's just fine to go to Tim Horton's in her pajamas with a coat thrown over, like Mommy is. It just doesn't work. It takes a good 45 minutes to get The Dictator dressed (she also NEEDS to wear her necklace and watch) for a two-minute walk to get a coffee.

So I've also been running around the city trying to find long-sleeve dresses for her. Which is also impossible.

On another note, I did just buy her a cute (summer) dress with skulls and crossbones. How do us mothers feel about dressing our kids in skull and crossbones?

I sometimes wear a skull and crossbone necklace and she loves it...she calls it "Scary"

"Why aren't you wearing your scary necklace," she'll ask.

Anyway, that's what's going on in my life. I feel a tad less guilty now that I've blogged. And I promise when I get through my wedding (I, uh, mean my book launch) I'll be a better blogger...

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all for skulls and crossbones. My 4 month old has an adorable black hoodie with a pink skull and crossbones on the back, and I love it! There's nothing wrong with a lttle girl having a bit of an edge, if you ask me.

2:16 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Skull & crossbones pattern is adorable!! I just don't like when kids (esp. babes) wear slogan t-shirts, like "my mom is hotter than your mom", or even "single and loving it" (which I saw at the Gap!).

PS...part of my word verification on this comment is "poo"..heehee

2:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do know you can make coffee at home, right?

7:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When will you be in Vancouver

3:04 AM

 
Blogger Laural Dawn said...

Your child is the exact opposite of mine - he wants to wear his pyjamas all the time. We actually now just wash his pyjama pants and let him wear them (since he is ONLY 3 - and they are really cute). But still. So stubborn. Today he left the house in pyjamas, an huge tshirt and rubber boots. It's all about fashion for him :)
And ... skull and crossbones dress - adorable!!!
PS I remember my dress phase. It drove my parents insane.

7:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My single brother got my 3 year old daughter some clothes from the designer Richard Kidd with skulls and crossbones. I have yet to send her out. I can just imagine the reaction of all the other Montessori moms. She wants to wear it, but I am a little chicken. Make sure you write about the experience.

5:09 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I had to buy duplicates of my son's favourite Spiderman PJs because he wants to wear them all the time. I have a knitting magazine here that has a pattern for a toddler skull sweater that looks adorable!

I am the sort of poo-disturber that would dress my kid in skulls and crossbones if I knew I would get raised eyebrows from snooty moms!

6:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I finally decided to check out this blog, because frankly, I wasn't a huge fan of Rebecca's first book. What a great surprise - I LOVE this blog and I can't wait to get the book. I'm going to buy a few extra copies and give them away to my customers (I have a kids store outside Calgary). Your blog is going on my weekly emails to the 1200 Calgary and Airdrie moms on my email list too - hope they laugh and commiserate as much as I do!

9:18 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I figure my three-year-old could outnegotiate most experienced politicians, her logic is very me-centric and hard to refute. Right now she refuses to wear a coat anywhere, no matter what the weather. I'm trying to "respect her choices"...

I'm going to be doing my first book tour next month for Healthy Mum, Happy Baby, so I'm avidly reading your notes for tips & tricks & looking forward to seeing you in Vancouver!

12:02 PM

 
Blogger Multi-tasking Mommy said...

I had to giggle at Laurel's comment because my daughter is the same as her son! I have to convince her to take off her jammies when we plan to go out! It's awful!

Blogging is for you! Of course, we miss you, but it is for you. You blog when you want to, have time to, have something to write about!

I laughed out loud when you wrote about the Dictator needing to dress up every.single.day to go to Timmies! Hilarious!

5:42 PM

 
Blogger Di said...

Will you be in Florida at all? I live in Boca Raton and would be delighted to welcome you and make sure you have fun! This summer I'll be in NC...not sure if your tour brings you there. Raleigh has the most AMAZING independent bookstore, Quail Ridge Books.

Let me know!

6:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how does everyone know her book tour sked? does it include Ottawa? i'm a huge fan, pls let me know, thanks!

6:37 PM

 
Blogger Peace Sweet Peas said...

Last year I worked at Gymboree for a while and spent all my money on clothes for the girls so I have a lot of very cute spring clothes for my three year old daughter to wear but she prefers the hand-me-downs from the kid down the street. She's long been able to dress herself but now prefers to lie on the floor and demand that I do it while vetoing every piece of clothing I pull out.

12:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home