Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Another Year....

I envy people who don't make New Year's resolutions. At this time of year, I always ask people what their New Year's resolutions are.

I'm always amazed when people answer, "I don't make any." I think these people, for some reason, are just happier than me.

They don't make resolutions and, thus, can never let themselves down. I envy them.

I always make resolutions. Though, if you asked me what my resolutions were last year, I couldn't tell you. I could venture that they had something to do with eating healthy and keeping in shape.

I failed. I always fail.

But it will soon be a new year, and yet again I will make resolutions. I suggested to the fiance last night that we actually write them down and put them in a drawer so we can pull them out and remind ourselves what they were.

But it seems easier to blog about it. That way, it will be there, and whenever I feel like I'm failing, I can just re-read what my resolutions were. I'm sure this is the dumbest thing I'll ever do.

Like, January second when I'm eating french fries from Macdonald's watching re-runs of Grey's Anatomy, I'll be like, "What were my resolutions again?" And then you'll all say, "Duh. You just blogged about them. You said you were going to eat healthy and not watch so much television."

But, hey, it's worth a try. So here are my resolutions. Then you write to me about yours. That way, you can throw my resolutions back in my face, and I can throw yours back in yours. Aren't resolutions so much fun?

1) I am going to eat healthier. This is not to lose weight (Although, I'm always wanting to lose three to five pounds.) It's because I feel like shit every time I eat junk food, which is a lot. I am going to learn to love salads. And soup. Starting in January, I am no longer a burger and fries girl, I am a soup and salad girl.

2) I'm going to work out regularly. This, again, is not to lose weight (Although, I'm always wanting to lose three to five pounds.) This is because I feel better when I do work out and I sleep better. I'm not going to say I'm going to work out 7 days a week, because I know, from experience, this will never happen. But I think four days a week is reasonable and manageable.

3) I'm going to not take on so much. I swear to god, this has been the hardest thing for me since having The Dictator. And you know what? It does feel good to work a lot, but I don't want to work so much anymore. And when I take on too much, everything suffers. So I'm now going to do good work on a couple things, not mediocre work on a lot of things. If that makes sense. Because doing bad work makes me cranky.

4) I'm going to appreciate things. This is another thing I've failed at miserably. I get so caught up in everything that needs to be done, that I don't just sit back and enjoy life. So I'm gonna! I get so caught up in the negatives in my life, that I don't remember all the positives. So I'm gonna!

5) I'm going to send out, to a stranger, once a week a nice e-mail. This will be to an author I like, or a blogger, or someone who I think deserves to hear something nice. No one does this that much. I often read something and think, "Hey, I should send a nice e-mail to that person." But I never do. So I'm going to.

6) I'm going to get back into yoga. Because I love the mindset. I really do. And it makes me feel better.

7) I'm going to spend more time with The Dictator. Because I want to. And I want to always be in a good mood when I do. Which will be easier because of resolution number 3.

8) I'm going to be a better blogger. Not on my blog, but reading other people's blogs.

9) And I'm going to read more books. I love to read, but I'm so usually burnt by the end of the day, that I just watch shitty television. Of course I'll watch Grey's Anatomy. But reality television, good bye! (That will cut down about 18 hours a week.)

10) I think I've managed to get rid of all the toxic people in my life. So this year, now that that's finally accomplished, I'm not going to let anyone in who may be toxic. I'm now at an age where I know who is good for me and who is not. And I'm not going to feel guilty about it.

So, there you have it. Basically, I guess it comes down to less work, more play, appreciating life and spending time with people I enjoy and my family, and overall being a happier person.

Happy New Years all! See you in the New Year. I'll be the one slurping soup and munching on lettuce.

(I am so going to regret this...)

32 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! I blogged mine last year, and although I haven't checked on them recently, I can almost guarantee that I did not in fact follow through on any of them. But this year! I swear!

Happy holidays to you and your family.

6:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, yes ma'am, i'm with you on all 10. seriously.

6:46 PM

 
Blogger jess said...

good luck with your resolutions! i especially like the one about sending out one nice email a week, that is a really good idea.

8:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your intentions are good whether you keep the resolutions or not. Life would be sweeter if we were able to focus on the things we did do instead of the things we didn't do! My resolution is to celebrate my successes. I never do - I just rush on to the next project. Happy holidays!

7:28 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Wow! You make a lot of New Years Resolutions. Ambitious! I usually stick to one or two. The same one or two that I make every year and never do ...

8:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to almost all of these resolutions - in particular the "negative" one - I am really trying to be more positive in every area of life and use gratitude as a tool to get there.

I just read your article in Macleans - did you get married?

10:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those sound like awesome resolutions -- particularly number three. (Doing less does feel great.)
- A recent convert to resolution three

2:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Hebrew New Year was three months ago; I'm Jewish, so I try to ignore pagan festivals.

9:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you. I don't make resolutions but I do try to do many of those things year round.

11:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's quite a list. I hope you give yourself partial credit for managing a couple of the resolutions. I usually make exactly one resolution. Last year it was to train my dog. Did I do it? Nuh uh. Instead we added another untrained mutt to the household. I haven't decided on this year's resolution but I'll try to remember to let you know. Happy Holidays!

11:56 AM

 
Blogger the mystic said...

Ah Happy New Year! I always make resolutions, but I haven't decided what mine are going to be yet... maybe to stop procrastinating so much?

10:59 AM

 
Blogger Laural Dawn said...

I hardly ever make New Year's Resolutions. I just never keep them.
But this year I have. I'm resolving to make an effort to wear more fun jewellry on a regular basis. Lame. I know. But, at the same time kind of fun - and attainable.

12:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mind if I copy? Your list is exactly what mine should be. Except I'll spend more time with Alex instead of Rowan.

5:27 PM

 
Blogger ...Sarah said...

I recently heard on the radio that a study was done indicating 30-somethings are the most likely demographic of people to make resolutions. The least likely were 60 somethings. I suppose it is obvious that, at that point in life, they have given up. I suppose 30 years of broken resolutions does that to people.

Having just turned 30 this year, the mother of a 2 and-a-half year old and an 8 month old, losing sleep on a nightly basis, I have decided that it is good enough for me to take from the wisdom of our elders and just not bother.

After all, one cannot live on soup and lettuce alone.

12:56 PM

 
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

I asked my husband what his New Years Resolutions were and he totally didn't make any.

Clearly, I need a lot more work than him.

9:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there...

Hope you had a great holiday and a well-deserved break!

I just made my resolutions- days late, I am a lifelong procrastinator. Maybe that means I should resolve to not procrastinate? I'd love your thoughts on mine...

Cheers,
K.

11:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to the not taking on so much. I can tell you exactly why I never make resolutions. I'm just like you and I always break them - so in an effort to not dissapoint myself by my laziness- I make no resolutions. Tnough I have secretly sworn to start running again- though this was before New Years and also to eat better- we eat pretty well but Tim got a physical and some results were not so great.

12:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody does make at least one New Year's resolution even though if they don't fulfill it at the end of the year. Others just deny the fact they have a "New Year's Resolution" as they thought it is being childish. Just my thoughts though!

Happy New Year!

12:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list of resolutions. All very good for you and all very attainable. Funny how we know which things are good for us and which things make us feel better yet we resist doing them. Taking the easy road is...well, easy.

5:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year,Rebecca! At the new years eve party I went to I was asking around what everyones resolutions were. Almost noone had made any. Are we the only ones?
Anyhow,I here are mine. 1. I will turn things around at work and my litte business will finally make profit.
2. I will exercise regularly.
3. I will eat healthier.
Does this seem familliar? I guess I will see you at the gym (ha ha)...
/Sara

11:20 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer P said...

To be the best mom I can be.

7:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good resolutions - I always make them too, but this year I've been too busy to event think of any! Looking at yours I think I'll borrow a few - 1,2,3,4 & 10! I could do with 10 this year.

10:41 AM

 
Blogger Kris said...

Great list! Hey, if we stop trying, where will we be?

1:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you Rebecca? We miss you and the ninepound dictator...

7:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to resolutions!

I don't make any. I can't be bothered. You're right though... I do feel better about not making any because then I don't feel like I am obligated to change anything! LOL

Good luck with sticking with it! I'm sure you'll do great!

5:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey better blogger... maybe you're so taken with reading others you've forgotten this one???

I've read this post through a few times and at first I really realted to it. I usually come up with healthy living plans that are extremely short lived, organizational goals that never see the light of day and big plans for how my life will be changing. Like you, they all last until the wee days of January.

This year, I've managed to stick to a gruelling cleanse all this time (I still have 19 days until completion) and I've actually done a lot more cleaning than I'd expected. What made this year different? I have no clue. Preparation? Extra motivation? I don't know and have realized that it doesn't really matter at all, but the truth is that I can't wait for that first glass of wine when this is all done!

Hopefully, some fabulous books have been taking up your time and directing you attention away from here, but I hope you'll be back soon.

12:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it time for an update already. a month is a long time for a blog break. how do you expect to maintain readers

12:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just found your blog and I really like it. I have seen your books, but unfortunately I haven't read them.

Its funny how kids can drive you nuts when you spend a lot of time with them, but as soon as they leave the room you ache to see them again. I have never known a love so strong. My children amaze me. ( other people's children are cute at best *lol*)

5:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca, where are you?!?! We miss you!! And how are those resolutions going so far???

7:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it time for a new post already

10:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chapters says your new book is coming out around the 1st. Is that true?? I'm so excited to read it!! - even though I'm not so keen on the whole topic of kiddies.

1:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Rebecca. Happy New Year.
You have been selected for a game called Six Weird Things.
Don't ask me....I was tagged and so now, sadly, as if you didn't already have enough on your plate....tag - you're it!
See my blog for details:
http://www.empowerment4women.org/community/blogs/babesandtheburbs/

7:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home