Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Friday, February 23, 2007

Immaturity Rocks! So there!

The one thing I'm totally enjoying about being a mother right now is how it allows you to be a kid again.

I swear to god, I hadn't eaten an Oreo cookie in ten years, before about a month ago, when The Dictator decided she liked them (or at least the icing part.)

Here are my top five reasons why-I-Love-LOVE-LOVE!! having a three year old best friend (I know. I know. It's happened. I now consider my three year old my best friend -- hey, it happens to the best of us!)

1) I now eat Oreo cookies with her just like a kid again. I take off the top cookie, use my fingers to lick off the icing. And then finish off the rest. How fun is that? I also love the fact she loves bubblegum ice cream. I mean, when is the last time you ordered bubblegum ice cream?

2) I actually laugh out loud when she says silly things like, "Bed farts." She has no idea what she's talking about, and neither do I, but it's super fun to just be silly sometimes and make up words.

3) I did my first summersault (how do you spell summersault???) in about 15 years the other day with The Dictator. It was fun. And who knew that I could still do those things? I even tried a cartwheel!

4) I love her imagination. I love the fact I can tell The Dictator that if she takes a sip off water, she'll turn purple with pink polka dots. And then she tells me to drink my water and says, "Your'e turning orange!" I love that she believes in magic. I love that I can draw with a marker eyes and a mouth on my pointer finger, and tell her its my "special Tickley Worm" who likes to slither up her stomach and keep warm. I love when she asks me every day, "Where's Tickly Worm now? Can I see him?"

5) I love that she loves to be tickled and laughs so hard. Then she says, "I want to tickle you!!" And she does. And you know what? It completely makes me laugh.

Oh, and I'll add how she now is completely obsessed with Strawberry Shortcake. I remember being obsessed with Strawberry Shortcake....and how she'll often say to me, "You can do it Mommy!" (When was the last time someone told you that??)

Ahh, the memories...

There is something to this thing called immaturity....

16 Comments:

Blogger Betsy Mae said...

Yes,

three
is a magic number
yes it is
it's a magic number

If you have a three year old you know what I'm singing.

5:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm SO Glad you're posting again!!!

9:02 PM

 
Blogger Jezer said...

"You can do it Mommy!" That right there is precious. As a highly accomplished talented woman, just how awesome is it to hear that kind of encouragement from your 3-year-old?
The dictator is amazing.

5:42 AM

 
Blogger Laural Dawn said...

I'm so with you on this! My son is just hitting 3 and it is awesome. He's fun and the imagination thing is pretty cool.
I went on a field trip with his class (despite people saying I was crazy for taking a day off work to do this). It was so much fun - the kids were really fun and adorable and I felt really loved.
It's an awesome age.
Oh - and we re-discovered Nerds and Hubba Bubba. Actually, just have an excuse to buy them again.

1:00 PM

 
Blogger Irish Eyes said...

HOLD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DID I JUST SEE A PREVIEW FOR A MOVIE BASED ON A BOOK THAT YOU WROTE CALLED "KNOCKED UP"?!

Then I said to my friend, "I know the woman that wrote that book! Well, I don't know her. . . I read her blog."

(I hope it's true, but if it's not, I'm available to star in the movie of your book.)

12:47 PM

 
Blogger Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Our children can definitely be our best encouragers (is that even a word? Oh well)! My daughter says, "Good for you, Mommy" when I go pee...it's hilarious!

Glad to hear that you are having so much fun! Kids are fun!

6:40 PM

 
Blogger Multi-tasking Mommy said...

P.S. Welcome back, Rebecca!

6:42 PM

 
Blogger the mystic said...

aww, yes it's a great opportunity to remember just how fun the most simple things can be.

My 5 year old is already a skeptic and it cracks me up. When I tell him something magical, he looks at me and says, "Mama, are you just teasing me???"

3:40 PM

 
Blogger The Unrepentant Gallivanter said...

My little girl is almost one - but she is starting to do cute things like that, too! I still find it amazing the corny things I do now just so I can hear her laugh! : )

10:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life is sweet sometimes! I remember fondly the days of being silly with my young son.
Now, he's 14 and I still have some REALLY fun moments with him! I think that being super-silly with them when they are young will carry over into being silly with them as they age-keep it up, it only gets better from what I can tell.

I can now tell my son stupid jokes that are on the edge of adulthood, aka corny, and I can laugh and he will groan loudly-but later laugh as he retells the corny joke to friends and tells his friends about how hard I laughed about the corny joke!

Silliness is important!!

10:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca, what month is your house going to be featured in Canadian House and Home magazine?

10:34 PM

 
Blogger Good Things I Find said...

Adults who don't have children in their lives miss out on so much.

7:03 PM

 
Blogger Multi-tasking Mommy said...

I love to act like a kid, have fun like a kid and play with kids! Having a toddler certainly lets me have an excuse, a good one at that, to do all of those crazy things! Maybe that's why I loved to teach Kindergarten prior to being a Mommy :)

4:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was so adorable. My son is almost 2 and I am always acting like a goofy fool. I am sure it will just get worse as he turns 3! I cannot wait. These moments you want to last forever, but you also look forward to what's to come. It is amazing!!

6:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i loved reading this - it made me smile!

7:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes-got into the Alphabets and Frosted Flakes again...
plus just paid my kid five bucks to help me out with a Play Station game(Okami) when I was stuck....
God bless 'em

A momma 2

10:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home