Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Friday, June 01, 2007

Blogger Drama! Future Journalists watch out!

Right now, I'm laughing so hard I basically have tears streaming down my face.

That's because I just got off the phone with someone who told me who was behind one of the blogs that is constantly attacking me and my work and me and me and me.

I'm laughing so hard, because of all people, this person is actually a (part-time) journalism "professor!"

Can you fucking believe that?

It's so pathetic, it's funny. I mean, if it were just some weirdo 60 year-old who still lived in his parents basement who made fun of me, that I would get.

But someone who teaches journalism? Give me a fucking break.

THIS IS WHAT JOURNALISM "PROFESSORS" DO IN THEIR SPARE TIME????? Crazy. Crazy. Crazy. Shouldn't they be preparing lesson plans, or actually writing stories, or doing - what's that saying - practicing what they preach?

I liked going to journalism school. Sort of. I mean, it was a long four years. But it got me my first job at Pamela Wallin and an internship at the Calgary Herald. All in all, it was a good experience.

And I did meet some wonderful professors, who, I'm quite positive, would not spend their spare time criticizing other journalists on a blog they hide behind.

Yes, future journalists, if you go to this school, you may possibly be taught by a blogger who seems to enjoy spending her spare time behind a fake blog, criticizing other writers bitterly. And not just me.

Now, the question is "Do I out this 'professor?'"

Hmmmmmm.....

I'm quite positive this professor's bosses wouldn't exactly enjoy knowing what this professor does in her spare time.

In fact, I don't think any school would like to have a journalism "teacher" on their staff who does such things - not because legally there's not much you can do about it, but because morally? It's just too pathetic and laughable.

Yes, dear Journalism "Professor," - I know you read me - would you pick on one of your own students who is busy working what you teach them to do - get a job writing? Where's the love?

And, at least, I have my name on my blog. I don't hide under a fake one.

I believe in karma. Trust me, it will come back to bite you in the ass.

In fact, my guess is you won't be teaching at this university next year. Just a guess. Or maybe I know people.

It reminds me of a story I just heard. This guy my friend knows was in line at McDonald's when someone behind him said something truly nasty to him for no reason.

Well, unfortunately for this man who said something so nasty, the guy he said it to had a black belt and is a champion kickboxer to boot. He may look small, but still...

let's just say this man regretted what he said, when he found himself lying on the floor of McDonald's.

23 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Awesome!
Reading this totally made my dreary Friday afternoon.

What a riot!

11:51 AM

 
Blogger Laural Dawn said...

You're awesome!!!
I went to journalism school too - and really, the good profs supported successful journalists. (which you totally are).
Oh - the drama!
But, you're right. Karma is a bitch.

12:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly who you mean.

I hope you know people. She shouldn't be teaching journalism.

12:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate jealous people! I hate to think how this teacher treats their students if they are this mean to one of Canada's finest (yourself!).

1:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes...how dumb can this person be????

2:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahahahahahaha!!!

i love karma.
it's not just for Earl anymore :)

3:01 PM

 
Blogger ninepounddictator said...

to be clear
I was not talking about
other satirical site.
the "professor" knows exactly
who she is. and so do I.

4:13 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

It sounds to me like this is really bothering you. If you want to let it show that you don't really give a rats ass about what this person says, then blogging about it isn't a really good idea. It seems to me like you are feeding this jealous persons negativitity.

4:42 AM

 
Blogger Blog said...

I would LOVE to out my professor -- tell all young women to WATCH OUT for letch -- but.... I'm hoping for the karma thing.... My experience with professors is that A LOT of them are totally corrupt like this. It's so obvious your totally pathetic one is JEALOUS!!! Craziness! AWESOME that you found out. I have no idea what blog this is she writes though -- I thought there was only one pathetic immoral "anti-Eckler" blog. I'm sorry to hear there are more. But, not really because just means you're more famous...so it's all good. :) She must be totally shitting nervous right now! That's GREAT karma!

10:04 AM

 
Blogger Betsy Mae said...

yikes!

5:35 PM

 
Blogger Whitenoise said...

Let it go. Don't fight pettiness with more pettiness...

7:53 PM

 
Blogger Santi Marie said...

That's sad. Confront, girl. Here's to a most fruitful career.

Forgive. Forget and move on.

TC.

Greg

7:33 AM

 
Blogger Peri-freakin-menopause said...

I guess this falls into the freedom of speech thing. On the one hand, she is entitled to say what she wants, but on the other hand, why bother? I guess some people just have to create drama. She had to have know you wouldn't sit there and take it. I am anxious to see if she posts a comment here. What was her motivation?

11:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least let us know which jskool so the guessing is more fun!

6:28 PM

 
Blogger t r a c y said...

absolutely the lunatic professor with too much free time on her hands has a right to freedom of speech - but that right is greatly diminished when the speech is made anonymously. i say out her to her employer, now. what she's doing is pathological in it's attention to you and your every word, she's not operating with a full deck and probably isn't giving the best of educations to her captive students.

7:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stumbled onto your blog (well that makes me sound like a drunk, doesn't it?) and wow, I've come at a really juicy time, haven't I?

I'd say fight pettiness with pettiness. But I'm petty like that.

9:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure what to make of you yet. I would say who cares who writes of you. A professor, a pool boy, a bartender, what's the difference? You're being thought of, that's what matters. Some people sit on park benches and mutter as pigeons fly past. Nobody hears them or sees them. You're young. Are you living a good life? That's what really matters. I'm a writer-editor, and I only want someone to speak of me 50 years from now, not because I went on about a prof, but because I lived a fair and decent life.

9:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Eckler,
I don't think you get it. The reason that people love to pick on you is because of your self-centred view on life. I think you are really missing something. Go back, re-read your book and tell me what you think about the main character of the book. Maybe then you will understand.

4:53 AM

 
Blogger Dorph said...

Hi! Please post a link to this blog! Thanks.

1:02 PM

 
Blogger QueenieCarly said...

I'm with catwoman. Professor knows who she is, you know who she is, but *I* don't. That bugs me right now. Spill! Please? Pretty please?

4:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let it go. They're entitled to their opinion. If you're bothered enough to try to retaliate, it means you secretly feel that some of their criticisms are valid.

4:41 PM

 
Blogger Devra said...

Defamation, to include libel and slander, is not protected by free speech laws. Opinions are protected by free speech laws, but there is a legal difference between stating an opinion and making defamatory statements.

I can deal with blog posts that say they don't like me or think I am full of crap, that is an opinion and I support the right to freely express it. However, if that same person presents their opinion as FACT yet there is nothing to be able to substaniate that presented "fact" as being true our attorney will be knocking.

If someone is hiding behind a cloak of anonymity to post defamatory remarks AND is also calling themselves a journalist, that is even more problematic because they are doing something that is not only potentially actionable in a court of law, they are also breaking all kinds of ethical standards journalists are accountable to uphold according to their own code of journalistic ethics.

4:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

journalism school sounds pretty cool.

11:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home