Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Monday, November 05, 2007

C-C-C-Cancun...

"Toddlers Gone Wild" is almost wrapped up. I have two more days to really finish it.

The dictator has two days off from school next week.

So, instead of sticking around, I planned a last minut Club Med vacation. Yes, I'm taking the dictator to Cancun, where I'll meet up with another mother friend, who is bringing her two toddlers.

(I call it "C-C-C-Cancun," because my daughter was learning the letter 'C' in class and she's come back with this song that goes something like, 'C-C-C-C-C, the sounds of the castinet. C-C-C-Can you click them faster yet."

I've never gone on a vacation just with a girlfriend and our kids.

And I've never done the whole Club Med thing (neither has my friend.)

It all seems a little complicated to me - memership numbers, credit cards for onsite only, everything included. These kind of places sort of freak me out.

I don't like being told to "HAVE FUN!" Andd that's how I sort of picture the staff at a Club Med, always trying to get you to join circus classes and dance classes....but who know? Maybe I will have the time of my life. Maybe at the end of our trip, I'll knnow how to fly on a trapeez.

This Club Med offers all sorts of kid camp programs. For kids it sounds amazingly fun. (I just have to manage to convince my dictator to go to these camps, which I most definitely will convince her to go.)

One friend I know took her kid to a Club Med and barely saw him all day. She dumped her toddler off at the camp at 9 .m., and came back and picked him up at five. She lay on the beach reading books all day. I mean, that doesn't sound so bad.

Mommy needs some rest time, after all.

It's now been more than 2 months getting her up and to school and picking her up from school, all the while trying to meet my deadline of this book, and doing the odd freelance assignment, while taking her to brithday parties, art classes, and more birthday parties.

Yes, while she's at this camp in Cancun Cluub Med - which is included in the package - hopefully mommy will be on the beach, reading my own manuscript. So for me, it's a working vacation.

I may have to work, but I guess at least I get to work in Cancun, which is better than working at my home office. The view will be better, that's for sure.

Still, have any of you been to a Club Med? Thoughts/advice please?

I still can't believe I'm going to a Club Med - "Hands up, baby hands up, give me your heart, gimme gimme your heart." That's all I really know about Club Med.

So, how were your Club Med getaways?

****Also, thank you all who sent me in your cute toddler quotes. I laughed out loud at almost all of them. They are just too cute! And I will try to include as many as possible. You parents are great! So pass along to any friends to send me their cute toddler quotes!

6 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

I've never been to Club Med, but my husband went years ago, before we met. He loved it. He went to Turks & Caicos. He said the water was really clear and beautiful.

4:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun! The extent of my Club Med knowledge is also the 'hands up' tune.

7:15 AM

 
Blogger Laural Dawn said...

Have fun in Club Med! I've heard good and bad things about it - but I think it depends which one you go to. How could Cancun NOT be fun?
I have always wanted to do the trapeze thing - it looks like soooo much fun. So, you should totally try it out.

8:03 AM

 
Blogger Girl About Here said...

Have a wonderful holiday! You deserve it...

I need a holiday now but it seems I'll have to settle for a long weekend, a hair appointment and a good meal.

8:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! I went to Club Med Cancun in May 2005! This was before it was redone as a family club though (it was adults only) and I was 19...so your experience will be VERY different I'm sure, but I had a great time! The staff (known as "G.O.'s" - gentile organiseurs...) are fantastic - they will force you to do things like dance on stage and go on the trapeze, but I have never had so much fun on a vacation, I highly recommend it! The all inclusive things is actually pretty great, you can eat and drink whatever and whenever, and you don't have to carry around anything except a room key and a camera! I've heard great things about the kids programs, too (as a teacher-in-training I even considered working at a Kids Club last year) I'm sure you will all have a great time! So practice your "Hands up", pack extra sunblock, and enjoy!

10:01 PM

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Hi!
Not sure if you have left yet or not, but I have been to Club Med as a kid and an adult and it was always a fabulous getaway.
I have not been there as a mommy yet, but I hope I will soon. Maybe when my little one is a bit older and able to remember and enjoy the programs.
From what I remember, they do face painting and dancing and skits... lots of fun.
Hope you had/have a great time :)

12:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home