Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The downfalls of having a boy's name...

So I had a mini-freak out this morning.

The Dictator will be starting camp next week. Full days, bus pick up and drop off, swimming lessons twice a day - the whole nine yards 0 and it hit me! It hit me that THIS is the biggest thing my little girl has ever done.

I freaked out. I called the camp, feeling the need to ask them a ton of questions.

I called the camp, saying my name and my daughter's name. I was put on hold for a l-o-n-g time as they tried to find what group she was in.

Finally, the person came back on the phone saying my daughter, Rowan, was put in a boy's group. I mean, thank god I called. Right?

The good news is that because there was a screw up, she now is in her best friends group, which is good, because now my daughter won't be scared to get on that bus, even though I'm freaking out about her going on a school bus each day.

Then I asked about swimming and if they put life jackets. They said they don't, that they prefer not to, so that these kids can learn to swim.

"But if you're really concerned we will put her in a life jacket," the person told me. "But it's a little pool and extremely well supervised."

I told them I was fine with that, because my daughter loves water. But I also told them that my daughter LIES and tells people she knows how to swim when she definitely does not know how to swim.

Then I was told that a lot of the little "monkeys" - as her group is called - do that. They lie about swimming.

Anyway, I am freaking out about this whole camp experience. I keep looking at the newsletter the camp sent out with all the counsellors names and experience and thinking, "OK, this is their fourth year at this camp," "OK, this is their seventh year being a counselor at this camp," just to reassure myself that these people are going to make sure my child is alive at the end of the day.

I'm going to be like a dog, waiting at home for her everyday at 4:30, by the window. Yes, that's how freaked out I am.

But, hey, at least they know she's a girl now.

18 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

you're such a first time mom, i love it!

when that bus comes to pick my kids up for camp, i couldn't push them on it fast enough! hahaha.

1:04 PM

 
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

I would freak out too about first time at camp!

I'm getting the boy/girl mix-up too, but the opposite than you. My one week old son is getting mixed up for a girl! His name is Mackenzie. Apparently it's not a boys name and only a girls name? Since when?

By the way, I'm just over half way done Knocked Up! Thanks again for sending the copy! I even read it while in labor last week, I had it with me!!

6:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post is really cute- just wait until the first day that she comes home all excited to tell you about her day and the counsellors and her friends and you'll be much more relaxed!

6:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I don't know any boys with your daughter's name.
She'll have a blast!

Gabriella

5:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seriously took you this long to realize problems could occur because your daughter had a boy's name? Maybe you should have thought about this before naming her.

9:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. It's amazing how much you can work yourself up when the person on the other end of the line just ISN'T GETTING IT!

10:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Rebecca,

I am from Holland and I love to read your blogs.I print them so I can read them in my bed before going to sleep! I'm only 20, but I hope to have such a 'dictator' one day.. For a while ago, you blogged very often, but now I only see about one message a month, why?! Maybe you're to busy, but I just wanted to let you know that there are still people waiting for your adventures to read! Even as far away as Holland..:)

Love, Lisette

2:51 AM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Interesting...my daughter's name is Rowan too....At least I know now to call in advance to assure them all that she is indeed a girl.

10:21 AM

 
Blogger Dodi said...

I have an Avery and a Reese. Both girls, both always mistaken for boys on paper...I don't care, I love those "could go either way" names...I'm not a Tiffany, Brittany, Ashley type..

11:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha! i call my son "The Dictator" on my blog too! that's weird about thinking Rowan is a boy's name though. i've always thought it was more feminine. i think of the character from the Witching Hour series of books. relax about camp. your freak out will probably add to her freak-out, so smile and cry like hell in the car on the way home from the bus stop! :-D

11:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's "God," when referencing the God of Israel, other "gods," are not capitalised.

Have you become a pagan?

9:34 AM

 
Blogger Pecos Blue said...

It does happen so fast. Sounds like she will have fun. Esp. now that she is in the right group.

I am doing my first giveaway come by if you have time.

1:34 PM

 
Blogger schroedzz said...

I wanted to send you an email...
I'm reading your book, and love it!!!
yet, I can't seem to come across your email address...
Is it private?
are you already swamped with emails?
well, heres mine

its: schroedzz@hotmail.com

If you have time maybe you can send me a line, and I can get back to you.
THANKS!!!
steph

11:48 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I never thought twice about the gender issue when naming my son Dylan. Not until I was making an appointment for him and was asked "What is your daughter's date of birth?"

Beth
www.poopersonline.com

7:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to having a boy's name. My name is Casey and my husband is Jamie and people call me Jamie all the time.

My daughter's name is Elliot. I was just worried about people mistaking her for a boy but now she's getting E.T. references left and right. I thought we were in the clear since that was last generation's movie but I guess not.....

Just realized this post was from awhile ago. I hope your daughter had fun at camp!

4:48 PM

 
Blogger Bearette said...

where are you?

1:04 AM

 
Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

Hey Rebecca - nice to chat with you at the BBQ Sunday - stay dry!

Kelly

10:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least now she's in the right group. She can't lie about being a girl, right? We think she'll do great! But, it's in all mothers' natures to worry. We wouldn't be mothers without it.

3:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home