Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Friday, September 12, 2008

Cover Girl...

I'm a cover girl.

My darling daughter, Rowan, and I are on the cover of Parents Canada magazine. You can buy this magazine at Chapters/Indigo. There's also a spread on the inside of us.

I've never been the type of mother to read parenting magazines. I'm not sure why. But this magazine is actually very good, and I'm not just saying that because I'm on the cover, I swear. I read the thing from cover to cover and actually learned quite a bit. (Also, the people working behind the scenes - the photographers, the makeup artist, the editor - were all super nice, which I think people should know.)

I just feel a little strange being on the cover, and not because the headline is "love her or hate her?" but because now whenever I say something to Rowan's Daddy or friends about some aspect I'm wondering about parenting, they'll respond, "You're on the cover of a parenting magazine!"

Which, apparently, means I should know how exactly to get rid of pink eye. Friggen never ending pink eye in my home. I've been to the doctor three times trying to get rid of my pink eye - and it keeps coming back. I'm at the point where I just wish I could rip my eyes out of their sockets.

There is only one thing worse than pink eye, which is being allergic to the drops they give you to get rid of pink eye, which happened to me. Oh, the pain!

But now I have to go to Montreal on Monday for a speech Monday evening at the Jewish Public Library (This September 15th - Please, if you're in the Montreal area, do come, do come, do come!) And I can't very well wear sunglasses at 7:30 in the evening. But it might happen. (I promise I won't touch you!)

Truly, I'm not a diva. I just don't want to infect you. Plus, my eye is so fugly right now.

So, yes, I may be on the cover of a parenting magazine, but if anyone has any home remedies for pink eye, please do tell. Or else, this gal will be at the walk-in clinic - again - this weekend.

Also, my teen book, Rotten Apple, is coming out next month. If you have any pre-teen daughters who love to read, and write for their school newspapers/blogs - do schools have newspapers? - please don't hesitate to e-mail me at rebeccaeckler@yahoo.com and I'll do my very best to get them review copies....

I'm going to be a better blogger! I swear! I just have to go see if the red is still in my eye. Of course it is....

Help!

15 Comments:

Blogger Montreal Mama said...

I pre-ordered your book from Chapters. Do I have to be a pre-teen to read it? LOL

I'm excited to get the new Parents magazine. That's Today's Parent, right? Or is there another one called Parents? I get Today's Parents as a subscription.

See you Monday! I'm excited for your lecture. Will you be signing books?

Hope your eye gets better soon.

2:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magazine cover?! That's awesome! :)

You probably already know this, but whenever someone is infected, make sure they're ALWAYS washing their hands. Also make sure that they're not sharing towels or anything with the non-infected.

5:22 PM

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Glad to see you back! Hope the eye gets better.

12:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your feature and upcoming book! So exciting!

2:58 PM

 
Blogger Rhea said...

Oh, yeah, you are now one of those "experts" if you're on the cover of a parenting magazine. hehe No pressure, don't worry!

I'll have to check out your book. It sounds fun...

Sorry about the pink eye. Bad timing!

3:28 PM

 
Blogger LD said...

pink eye sucks!
I gave up on my doctor and got stuff from my naturopath and I haven't had a problem since.
Loved the cover story, and I like you as an expert because I'm guessing you wouldn't be judging me for letting my 4 year old watch spongebob while I read blogs!

7:57 AM

 
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Apparently my Chapters still has the summer 2008 issue of Parents Canada, I'll have to check back to see when they get the new issue.

It as great to meet you tonight in Montreal. Thanks for doing the event here and signing my books.

And by the way, your blog picture on your profile doesn't do you justice - you're so much prettier in real life!

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to reading your new book when it comes out this/next(?) month.

ps - Blog more!

9:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read the article in Parents Canada online. It's really great and sheds a little light on the other "Rebecca Eckler". Looking forward to checking out the new book.

12:38 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I picked up a copy of the magazine and I enjoyed the article.

I am glad to see you back posting.

And as far as this Mom thing, isn't it all just on-the-job training!

6:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just finished toddlers gone wild, and really enjoyed it. funny, real, and no pollyanna-mommy stuff, which i hate.

11:04 AM

 
Blogger Keltie said...

Polysporin makes OTC drops for pink eye and ear infections. Give that a try!

Also read the article in Parents Canada - it was very interesting to read. The ONLY problem I find with that magazine is that it is very Ontario-centric...a little frustrating for this Albertan!

12:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah the polysporin over the counter gunk works great!! im pregnant with my first and have found your books to be a great sense of relief and humor. thanks, rebecca.

sarah- saskatoon, SK

2:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I've been wondering for awhile, but now I"m even more suspicious...did you and the fiance split up?? I MUST go get that magazine!!

6:25 PM

 
Blogger petite gourmand said...

I'll have to check it out.
Lulu is on the cover of Canadian Family this month too.
She's the cute Zebra.
Her grandparents were thrilled.

7:24 AM

 
Blogger Cindy said...

Hi Rebecca:

Tea bags. Tea contains tantric acid, which kills the nasties and is safe for your eyeballs. Drop a couple of Tetleys in a saucer, pour some boiling water over, leave it a couple of minutes, and drain most of the water off. Let the bags cool. Lay on your back, put them on your eyes, and try to let some of the tea go in. Do this whenever you get a chance, up to a few times a day.

I promise, it will help.

12:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home