Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Ahem....Excuse me....

For the long, um, vacation from blogging.

So where the hell have I been for the last, um, few MONTHS?????

Well, I had my first YA novel, Rotten Apple, released in October. And I had another book deadline that I just finished. It's an adult fiction that I sent in with the title, "Clover and the Lucky Sperm Club." I hope they keep the title, but, hey, you never know.

Right now, my brain is as dead as my fingers are hurting.

(Honestly, would it be weird if I booked an hour massage at a spa and just asked if they could massage my hands? That's how much they hurt right now....)

So, basically, I've been doing nothing but working. In my recent round of press for Rotten Apple, I had a lot of reporters ask me how I am so prolific. The sad truth is that when I'm working, I shut off my e-mail, and don't answer my phone. I sit at my computer from the minute my daughter is at school, to the minute I go pick her up.

I don't get out of my pajamas, and sometimes I go days without showering. I know. Attractive isn't it? I become a bad friend too when I'm in work mode. My mind is only half in the real world when I get into fiction writing. I fall asleep thinking about my characters.

When I'm not working, I'm spending time with my daughter, who is, by far, my favorite person in the world. Every day, I love her more and more. One day, I think my heart will explode with love for her.

I also want to let you know that I'm now going to be a regular blogger at sweetmama.ca.

If you don't know about this site, you should definitely check it out.

I'll be writing about Single Motherhood every Thursday. As a single mother now, I really thought about whether I should do it or not. The truth is, I'm not thrilled to be a single mother. It's far from ideal. It's not how I pictured my life ending up.

However, the more I thought about it, the more I thought that I should share the good and the bad about being a single mother - As mommy bloggers know, other mommy bloggers just make you feel better when you know that other people are out there who understand what they're going through and that you're not alone.

Truthfully, I'm not happy about being a single mother, but it's my reality, as it is for so many others out there. In fact, I've had a very hard year. I hope, at the very least, that by blogging about being a single mother, that I may, in some ways, make others feel they are not alone.

There are also other great bloggers over at sweetmama.ca, including a blog by founder of Sweetspot.ca, Joanna Track, who is writing about being a step-mommy.

I miss all of you mommies, I really, truly do. I'm going to try and be a better blogger here at ninepounddictator as well.

In the meanwhile, I'm going to look into hand massages.

xoxo
R

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so excited to see an updated post from you this morning! Congrats on all of your work! I will definitely check out your new weekly posting. All the best Rebecca.

6:00 AM

 
Blogger Light and Fluffy said...

Wow I don't remember reading anything about you being a single mom!
WOW!
I became a single mom when I had a toddler, it's been a long time now though. There are ups and down, plus and minuses but you'll get through it, and be stronger for it.
Good luck!

11:34 AM

 
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your rough year. If you ever need to talk, there's another Toronto mommy blogger (whose husband you went to high school with) out here who is thinking of you.
I'm so glad you're back though. Yours was the first mommy blog I read and it was a big part of what inspired me to start blogging.
((HUGS))

11:58 AM

 
Blogger Bearette said...

Good to have you back. I like how honest your writing is.

5:23 PM

 
Blogger Kateri said...

wow. I didn't know you were now a single mother. i hope you keep writing about it. it's not an easy thing to write about.

5:36 PM

 
Blogger Joyce said...

one of my favorite blogs is written by a single mother...

www.betternow.typepad.com

have you read her?

6:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you are having a hard time. Hopefully things will be better for you soon. Congrats on the two new novels! that's very exciting! :)

7:09 PM

 
Blogger Joan said...

Glad to see your back online but am very sorry to hear about the changes in your personal life. Though single motherhood can be a scary place to be at times (speaking from personal experience), try to look at it more as an adventure! I wish you all the very best and look forward to reading more of your work.

10:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had no idea you were now a single mother, and it was brave of you to share. i have been on my own with my daughter since she was born. do you share custody? for me, that's the hardest part. i barely knew her father when i got pregnant. at least you had an actual relationship with your daughter's father. sharing custody with a complete stranger is a drag.
thank you for your honesty. i'm sure you will help many women going through the same thing! xx.

10:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Rebecca! I missed you! I´m excited to hear about the two new novels and will be checking them out... Sorry to hear about the breakup, it could not have been easy. Remember, there are lots of single parents out there. You will be fine.

4:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should date women.

9:33 AM

 
Blogger Lulu said...

Thank you for writing your books! I've been going through terrible bed ridden morning sickness for over a month now and for the past week laughing at your books has made it a little easier.

4:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come back, Rebecca! It's time to post again. Don't let another 3 months slip by. We'd love to hear from you. How about you tell us about the holidays with Rowan.

8:56 PM

 
Blogger petite gourmand said...

I just checked in and glad to see a relatively new post.
I'm really sorry to hear about your new single parent status too.
Must be difficult.
will definitely check out sweetmomma.ca
I hope 2009 is a better year for you.

10:35 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Sorry to hear about the breakup. I know you will be strong enough to continue on in your journey and meet any goal you set for yourself. Looking forward to your next entry.

12:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi i love your books and i am hoping youll come out with another after toddlers gone wild.I have a 4 month old son and i am currently reading knocked up,wiped and toddlers gone wild the second time lol. i love them. sorry to hear about the (ex)fiance. your such a strong woman i know youll make it thru with some good humour.<3

11:52 AM

 
Blogger charity said...

i was reading through this halfheartedly (and half asleep) when my eye caught the phrase "single mother". suddenly i'm wide awake and shocked and saddened by this turn of events. I'm a single mother myself, but in my case, I couldn't be happier about it. There are many things about my son's father that I never want him to admire or aspire to be like.

I hope you are doing well. I am ordering Toddlers today!

1:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home