Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Ashram....

I know. I know. It's been so long since I've posted. I'm not exactly sure why. I think, basically, I was exausted. And needed a break from everything.

Anyhoo, I'm in Toronto for the summer and it's so strange how the Calgary in me is coming out. Basically, I smile at people. And by people, I mean perfect strangers. And I'm scared to cross the streets here. But, boy, do I love being back at Pusie's (the nickname for Pusateries.) and the fact that I can get a cab in a second.

It's like I'm a whole new woman. A happy person! Maybe Calgary has changed me. The other day, I took The Dictator out to breakfast at Eggs Over Easy on Bloor street. We were walking home (her carrying, no joke, three stuffed animals) when I saw a seeing impaired woman, looking very lost.

Mostly, this was, I thought, because there is so much construction going on everywhere that she had to be super careful. I asked her if she would like me to walk her somewhere. So I walked her all the way to her house, her on one arm, and The Dictator on the other.

And The Dictator was being so good, this woman didn't even know I had a three year old on my other arm, until I told her. Anyway, she was a very nice woman. It turns out she became blind in her twenties. Hopefully, I'll run into this woman again, because she was quite lovely.

And then The Dictator asked why the woman couldn't see. I had no idea how to answer. I think I said something like, "Some people can see, and some people can't." It's hard when your child gets to that age where they ask you questions that you really have no clue how to answer.

I'm also working on my next book. I think I have a good title, which makes me happy, because I'm one of those writers who really has to start at the very beginning. I need the actuall title before I can get into writing the book.

But, right now, I have a new obsession. And, I'm hoping some one out there can help me.

I want to go to an ashram. That's my latest obsession. (And I will admit that a lot of it has to do with the fact that I just read Eat, Pray and Love, which is fantastic. So do pick it up. Or I'm sure you have a friend who has read it and can loan it to you.)

A few months ago, I went with a friend to a spa in Arizona. I worked out three hours a day, ate so friggen healthy I thought I may be in detox mode, because I just do not do well without a chocolate bar in my diet every day, and was in bed by nine o'clock every night.

But now I want to go to an ashram, where I can meditate and clean temple floors and enjoy silence. I do want to find inner peace. Yoga helps. A lot. But I want to take it a step further. But I don't want to go to India. I need some sort of ashram that maybe is in California and for beginners. I can't be half way around the world from the Dictator.

So, please, if any of you out there have been to an ashram, or knows someone who has (Also, I only want to go for maybe a week, as I can't leave The Dictator for longer than that...) please do share where and your experience and any tips....

And I promise to start writing more often....

Hope you are enjoying a wonderful summer!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I'm looking forward to the next book!

5:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca,

I think I read an interesting article about an Ashram spot somewhere in the Bahamas recently...

I will try to dig it up and send it along.

So good to know you're well!

6:32 AM

 
Blogger Laural Dawn said...

Good luck with the Ashram idea. That would kill me!!!
I can't wait to read the new book. The title is a good start :)

PS We've missed you!

8:47 AM

 
Blogger Anthony Woodward said...

I would recommend the Sanfransisco zen centre (www.sfzc.org), not an ashram but still sounds like what you’re looking for. They have a guest student program where you get to meditate plus do chores around the center to earn your keep.

5:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice to read you!/glad you are back. i hear so much about the benefits of yoga, but live in a smallish town with limited classes...do you know of a dvd introduction? or, is it the kind of thing one must do with a teacher?

8:57 PM

 
Blogger b*babbler said...

Congratulations on becoming unstuck, and welcome to T.O. for the summer!

8:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend who went to one in India. Very positive experience. How can I send you the info?

GS

9:54 AM

 
Blogger Kirsten said...

OMG, I hate the question answering thing. The ice cream truck keeps going around our street and she's all "What's that?" and I'm all "oh, nothing really, just a car with loud music."

Holy crap this keeps getting harder!

2:12 PM

 
Blogger Karla said...

A new book!!! YAY I'm psyched

1:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally excited about you writing another book. A friend recommended this ashram in BC to me http://www.yasodhara.org/

Rebecca

6:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh,I should add that some of the Ashrams in India also have 'locations' in the continental US (ie. Arizona, California).

GS

7:15 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Welcome back! You've been missed...

I've been trying to get in touch with you at your old email address, with no such luck!

Please email me at amanda [at] yorkregionbaby.com as I have been trying to be in touch with regards to your ad on our site :)

Thanks!!!
Glad you are enjoying your summer.

5:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is one in Val Morin Quebec, the Sivananda Yoga Camp. You rise early the morning for meditation and satsang, yoga classes are twice daily, food is vegetarian (two meal a day) - it was rigorous and fantasic. I think it might be what you are looking for. It is certainly an ashram, not a spa. I hightly recommend it. Laura

http://www.sivananda.org/camp/

5:42 AM

 
Blogger Deb, Chris, Jessica and Josh said...

Looking forward to the next book - I read Knocked up cover to cover, 5 months pregnant and on a flight from Calgary to Toronto (I was really laughing out loud on the plane) and Nine Pound Dictator while my new born slept in my arms because she wouldn't sleep in her crib. Good Luck with the writing!

7:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a beautiful ashram in Nelson B.C Check it out

8:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.yasodhara.org/

www.sivananda.org/locations/ashrams.html

http://www.retreatsonline.com/guide/yoga.htm

Lots to look at there!

-- Mrs. Kittens (Calgary AB)

1:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't need an ashram to find the "peace" you're looking for. Just sit and observe the flow of your own mental processes and try not to interfere with them.

But you know what? If you do that enough, you mightn't like what you find because finding peace is tantamount to finding truth, and finding truth is tantamount destroying yourself and everything you stand for -- ZERO foothold.

You'll truly be prepared for "peace" when you relinquish your fascination for such fleeting things as ashrams and yoga gymnastics.

Yours,

The Uncreated

11:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home