Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Hand Holding

I have a soft spot for three things: Old people, pug puppies, and babies. Actually, I have a soft spot for cookie dough cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory...but maybe that's more of an obsession.

Last night, The Fiance, The Dicator and I were wating to cross a street to go to a resturant. As we were waiting for the light to turn green, this adorable white haired couple (age 80 and 85 at least) stopped me and asked if they could talk to The Dictator.

(It was really nice of them to ask, almost like asking, "Can I please pet your dog?")

"Of course," I said. "Don't worry. She doesn't bite. Well, not always." (OK, I didn't say that last part.)

This very eldery couple asked The Dictator her name and her age and The Dictator answered, "Rowan and I'm wearing green socks." I could tell that this elderly couple were enamoured with her. And that made me proud. And I was also proud of The Dictator for not calling them "poo poo heads" as she's been calling people lately.

Then I watched this elderly couple walk off, holding hands. It almost broke my heart. I said to The Fiance, "Look! They're holding hands! Isn't that so cute?" To see people that age (really, they looked to be almost 90) holding hands walking into the evening, made me feel good about life.

That's what I want. I want, in 50 years, to still be in love enough with my partner to hold hands walking down the street.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

The cutest old couple live where I live. He opens her door on the car for her, holds doors open and they walk with his hand on the small of her back as though he's helping her walk. Seriously, the cutest thing ever.

8:47 PM

 
Blogger kittenpie said...

oh, I do love that too. So cute!
Thanks for dropping by my blog too, and I would love to be blogrolled! I'm assuming that doesn't involve floating down a river like those old NFB films of logrolling? ;^)

9:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good job Rebecca, you light up my day and that all the way over here in Holland! The naggers obviously don't have any form of personal/social life, so they spend there time slamming at other people... Get a life people!!!!!
xo Danielle

11:15 PM

 
Blogger JChevais said...

"That's what I want. I want, in 50 years, to still be in love enough with my partner to hold hands walking down the street."

Amen.

11:56 PM

 
Blogger Sandra said...

It is like life goes in full circle. We look at children and their unconditional affection and think it is so cute and then once you reach the greying years we think it is even cuter. Heart warming story.

2:43 AM

 
Blogger Miguelita said...

I remember years ago finding out about an older couple that my parents were friends with, that the husband has to put her stockings and shoes on for her every day because she has such bad knees. My sister said - "God I hope I never get that old." and all I could think was "I hope I can find someone who will love me enough to put my stockings and shoes on for me when I am old."

I did. Of course we haven't had to test the shoe thing yet, but I have faith.

5:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...that's so sweet. Wouldn't that be something lovely to aspire to!

6:35 AM

 
Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

I worked in a retirement home one summer. Nothing inspires a person more than two eighty year olds renewing their vows. I sincerely hope that in fifty years my hubs and I will be the ones inspiring the younger generation with our handholding.

9:22 AM

 
Blogger Sheena said...

That is a sweet thought. Kind of makes me wonder why everyone is always so mean to Anna Nichole Smith.

9:43 AM

 
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Amen.

That's all I have to say.

6:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home