Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

First Day of Skool

Ok, it's done.

School is hard. Not so much school for an almost three year-old, but the preparation in getting an almost three-year old to school on time.

School starts at 8:20 a.m. I know, 8:20 a.m.!

Which means in order for The Dictator to get dressed and fed and to school, we need to get up at 7 a.m.

I swear, it was like Grade 10 all over again. In my head, when the alarm went off this morning, I was like, "Um, really. Is it THAT important that I go today? I mean, we could miss this one day, right?"

I always knew, when I was a student and going to skip school, the night before. I remember one year, not that this is something I'm totally proud off, but the number of classes I skipped a few of the semesters was actually higher than my over all percentage.

It's only amazing because my average was in the mid-to-high eighties. I'm not bragging that I was an A-student. I'm only bragging that I was an A-student who skipped so much school.

I mean, my parents couldn't get THAT mad at me, because I was still getting the grades. It would have been really very wrong of them to be like, "You're only getting an 87 per cent!! GO TO SCHOOL!"

But times, I understand, are very different. And no longer is an 87 per cent good enough.

But I don't have to worry about that for a long time.

The point is, of course, we couldn't start skipping on her FIRST day of school, even if it was pre-school. No, that would have been kind of bad.

So we made it. And, you know, the teacher (Am I supposed to call her by her first name? Her two last names?) was very sweet and there were a few kids from The Dictator's camp there, so for all I know, The Dictator thought she was at camp.

The entire day I've been pretty emotional (And, no, I got my period last week.) It was all because my daughter is a girl now. A big girl. A big girl with invisible friends and invisible dog friends and invisible cat friends, but whatever. She's grown up.

And, she got her first birthday invitation today, handed to me by a mother who was very nice. I felt for the mother. Obviously, she didn't know any of the kids name's in class, so she just, I don't know really, gave out a few invitations.

I'm also sad too because I'm heading to Toronto for the Toronto International Film Festival. I will be blogging for Maclean's magazine daily on the party-scene. So check it out (Macleans.ca)

How can I complain about parties? Well, I can't really. But most of them don't start until 11 p.m. and, well, I'm now a mother.

You know how I know I'm a mother? Well, tonight, in order to get The Dictator up at 7 a.m. again tomorrow, I'll be going to bed at 7 p.m.

Hope your first day of school went well! Goodnight (Wait...it's only 4 p.m. I have to stay up a bit...snooze.)

13 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Glad to hear everything went okay for her on her first day. It should get easier for you as time goes on. I assume anyway.

8:35 PM

 
Blogger Good Things I Find said...

Our first day of school was filled with excitement...out the door no problem!
Today being only the second morniing in I woke up girls that were as ugly as bears. I wonder what I will get tomorrow.

6:15 AM

 
Blogger Ali said...

wait...7?
does that mean you didn't watch House????

7:33 AM

 
Blogger Gabriella said...

I'll be going through this next year when I go back to work and Samamtha starts daycare. I can't wait for the panic to set in.
Lucky you going to the Film Festival parties!

9:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't make your kid skip school!

It's part of the rebellion ritual of the normal 15yr old. If she is not skipping school what rule will crush to affirm her rebellion? (i.e. what rule would you have crushed!)
Cheers!

1:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to giggle about the class-skipping. That's how I functioned in college for a year or so - let's see if I can miss all the labs and still pass! Living on the edge, I'll tell ya.

I'm glad the Dictator is enjoying camp. I mean, school.

10:19 AM

 
Blogger jess said...

wow, don't you love the whole juggling work/parenting thing? thankfully you have a really interesting job that you love, otherwise i bet it would be really hard...

4:33 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been wondering where you've been :) The first day of school is hard! J. started grade one (full days and a bus) and I was a mess. S. is phased into JK starting this coming week - sob! Where did the time go?

7:51 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I am SO glad to hear that it all went well! That is awesome. Now you can know that she is fine and well adjusted when you have to travel. That is so good! I've been thinking about you.

The whole birthday party thing is quite cute, really! In my school, the parents all celebrated in the classroom because they didn't want to deal with the birthday parties at home and wanted everyone involved--it was fun, but cake etc. for 30 little ones was rather, let's just say, chaotic and leave it at that...especially when the parents dumped the cake off and expected me to serve it and clean up :)

10:14 AM

 
Blogger Karla said...

My baby starts preschool tomorrow. I'm so nervous, but I see how excited she is.

9:29 AM

 
Blogger Blog said...

7pm to 7am? Nice! I'm lucky any night that I get to bed before midnight....I cherish the time I have to myself every night--can't go to sleep because I like it too much! :) Looking forward to checking out your Macleans party-scene blog. :)

8:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm not following here. "I remember one year, not that this is something I'm totally proud off, but the number of classes I skipped a few of the semesters was actually higher than my over all percentage." Percentage of what? Grades? Classes you attended?

3:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you are a mother now. So why don't you send me in your place to all those parties? Oh crap, I'm a mother too. I momentarily forgot that with all my grown-upness I have a hard time being coherent after eleven. Wait, that's perfect for a party. Bring it on!

Okay, I'll get my vicarious thrill by reading your blog for Maclean's. Have fun.

1:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home