Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Friday, June 22, 2007

Stuck - literally...

So I've been stuck lately.....

I just feel stuck...

I have deadlines piling up and, well, like I said, I just feel stuck....

You know that feeling?

Anyway, I was talking on the phone this morning on the way back from Therapist - started going again a couple weeks ago - after realizing that I had lost a ton of weight, and, well, just felt stuck and anxious....

So I was talking to my friend on the phone about feeling blue, got on the elevator, pushed my office floor and she was going on about how everyone once in a while felt stuck, that she has, and that you just have to take things day by day, or step by step, or something "The Secret" like. I haven't read The Secret, but my friend has.

But I had stopped paying attention because quite literally I was stuck. I've never been stuck in an elevator before, but there I was stuck somewhere between some floor. The elevator just died. Just like that.

I freaked out. "I'm stuck!" I screamed to my friend.

"I know you said that," my friend said.

"No! I'm stuck in the elevator! What do I do? What do I do?"

"Pick up the phone. Isn't there an emergency phone in there?"

There was. But it wasn't working. It just kept going through to some phone company.

I was seriously starting the hyperventalate, and was pushing the emergency button like crazy.

"Ok, I got to get off the phone," I told her. "I don't want my battery to die in case I have to call 911.

I made a last phone call. I know it's sad but I did. I seriously wondered how long I would be in there, if the elevator would go crashing down, and if I would die wearing sweat pants, my fiance's t-shirt and a flouresent pink bra. I even thought how lucky I was to have spent the night sleeping with The Dictator.

Luckily, in the elevator there was a sign posted about the water being shut off tomorrow, and the office number was on the bottom. So I called down to the front desk. "I'm stuck in the elevator and I'm freaking out," I told the woman who picked up.

"We'll send someone right over," she told me.

"Good, because I'm freaking out!"

And she laughed. Now, what kind of person laughs when you're stuck in an elevator? Anyway....

I was rescued, thank god. And then it hit me. What was God trying to tell me?

Yes, I believe in God. And then I started to laugh and called my friend back. "Can you believe I was complaining about feeling stuck and then I was stuck in a fucking elevator?"

And, after being stuck, literally in the elevator, I don't feel so stuck anymore...

Ah, signs from above....got to love them.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My worst fear is being stuck in an elevator which I realize is pretty sad. I think my heart started racing just reading about your experience! I hear ya on the feeling stuck part- I really having nothing to complain about personally or career wise but...

1:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca. I am a nasty NineGram person. I was trapped in an elevator once too, and it was NOT fun. I was scared and angry and scared, all at the same time. Anyway, glad you got out okay ... Also, I must say, the Therapist sounds like a really good idea.

2:17 PM

 
Blogger Betsy Mae said...

I've been 'stuck' lately too.

You know, I think you should take that as a sign...I would..at least for a day!

It sucks to feel that way, hope you feel less...stuck.

6:55 PM

 
Blogger Laural Dawn said...

I hear you on feeling stuck - but only in the figurative sense, not the literal sense.
My grandma died a few weeks ago, and since that time I've just not been myself. Just kind of blah.
When I hit that point I can totally feel myself get lower and lower - for what it's worth, I've found that running really helps my mood.
Anyway, that is scary about the elevator ... I've never been stuck in one, but it's one of biggest fears.

7:09 PM

 
Blogger Peri-freakin-menopause said...

It's ironic that you feel this way, all the while I find you inspiring. I guess from a distant onlookers perspective, your life seems fabulously interesting and successful.

On a weekly basis I go from feeling hopeless to content (ok, maybe its more of a monthly basis). And just when I'm feeling down, someone will tell me how much they envy my lifestyle (referring to being able to work at home and be with my daughter). My eyes open in amazement. Sometimes we lose perspective.

10:44 AM

 
Blogger Blog said...

Wow, that is SO weird! Who needs therapy when you have ELEVATORS!

5:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand how you felt. I am usually a pretty positive person and tend to look at the good side of life-I have a great job, beautiful 18 month old daughter and an healthy.

I had my 3rd miscarrage a few months ago and my 'husband' (we are not married but have been together for 4+ years) doesn't want to go through this again and just told me that he doesn't want any more children. He just turned 40 (and has 2 other children and a crazy ex). I know that I should be happy that I have my girl and 2 great step-kids who really love me (we spend alot of time with them as their mother is out partying and looking for a new husband) but part of me wants another baby so badly...so much that I am thinking that I would be better off to find someone else to be with-although I cant imagine having to share my girl 'every other weekend'-this is the only thing stopping me. It is such an impasse because there is no half way here and no winner!

Anyways, enough complaining...maybe I'll go and ride the elevators today in hopes of getting stuck then out of this rut!!!!!!!

8:04 AM

 
Blogger Bearette said...

I just wanted to say I'm reading your new book, and I really like it! I hope you write another one soon.

And your blog is much better than that parody blog. They're just jealous because you can write and they can't.

9:57 AM

 
Blogger Nicole said...

Hey listen, we all feel stuck sometimes! Just be glad they didn't find your dead body in the outfit you mentioned. That's my fear too! Also it's my fear that I will be found dead, in a bad outfit, with two days to go until my next bikini wax...but that's a whole other story!

12:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate elevators!! But I am glad the inncident helped get you "unstuck"

9:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Sorry you are feeling stuck - been there, done that, too lazy to pick up the free t-shirt that went with it: http://annenahm.com/?p=293

But the coolest thing seems to be that when you are in that place, it is almost like a person is primed to have an eye opening experience. Right after I wrote that last entry? This happened: http://annenahm.com/?p=301

And while I'm thoroughly embarrassed that I had an epiphany based in any part over Oprah? It was worth it.

Hope your elevator stickiness gives you something really great in return for all that fear.

8:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just testing to see if comments can actually be posted here - hello?

5:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are comments being blocked on this site?

5:35 PM

 
Blogger QueenieCarly said...

That's a pretty awesome coincidence. Talk about spelling it out for you. There's always a lesson, I think. The true test is whether you can find it.

8:06 PM

 
Blogger Blog said...

Hi Rebecca!

You don't need to publish this as a comment -- it's unrelated to the post, so.... I just want to tell you HOW MUCH I'm enjoying _Knocked Up_. I'm pregnant now, and I am totally relating to your book -- from feeling fat, to people judging you, to CRAZAY hormones, to FEELING FAT! ;) I can't tell you enough how good your book has made me feel. It's REAL, and it takes the pressure off, you know? I could go on and on here, but I'll spare you. I just bought _Wiped_ -- because I'm almost finished _Knocked Up_. And, I'm sure -- with my 2-year-old little monkey -- I'll relate to this book just as well. (And, my friend is LOVING _Wiped_ right now, as well, and she'll be reading _Knocked Up_ next.

Thanks so much for writing this book.
:)
Haley

2:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca, next time yo feel stuck get yourself a Yogen Fruz it's all the yum without the guilt! I feel like a Yogen Fruz a day takes the doctor away!Hope you're better!

12:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I just had to write you and tell you I absolutely, positively, without a doubt, love love lovvvved your book Knocked Up, I got it at my library in a sale months ago and it had the old cover (the reddish one with the little pregnant lady on the front) and I had never bothered to read it yet. One day I was bored though and it was the first thing I saw, by the 2nd sentence I was hooked. My husband was starting to wonder if I was going to put it down to eat (I held it in the other hand) I have now written a request to my local library to get your newest book, Wiped, I'd buy it but I can't afford it, I felt bad too, I made the guy at Borders spend twenty minutes looking for it since it was shelved wrong only to have to put it back. I may have to sneak over and read it my spare time till I can afford a copy for my bookshelf. I totally connected to your feelings. I had them all when I had my first child at 17. She's 8 years old now and has ADHD and believe me, you're going to feel stuck many times in life. I miss when the craziest thing she did was wear a princess dress. Now she's smarting off and asking for a cell phone! (As if) Anyways, I just had to let you know how much I adore you and that I can not wait to read Wiped! Even the cover is hilarious! Congrats on your success and for no longer feeling stuck! :)

Always a fan,
~Marye
legolasrocks82@yahoo.com

Ps. Your book inspired me to find similar novels and I just read Risa Green's Notes from the Underbelly and Tales from the Crib in about 3 days time. I loved how similar the pregnancy issues were, even though hers is more fiction. If you haven't read them yourself, I definetly recommend them! Good luck with everything! (And thank you for reading this! ;)

5:50 PM

 
Blogger Whitenoise said...

You can pry the doors open with moderate effort. Then, even with the floor of the elevator misaligned with the building- you can still wriggle your way out. Call me the next time this happens- I'll coach you thru it... ;-)

3:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you still stuck?? Where have you been.

6:59 AM

 
Blogger b*babbler said...

Hoping you find your way out of your stuck-ed-ness. Missing the (further) adventures of Nine-Pound-Dictator!

7:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home