Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Strangest Post Card

Ok, The Fiance and I NEVER check our home voice. Well, I wouldn't say never. But let's just say there have been many a times we've had to say to people, "Um, I know your party was 17 days ago. Sorry we didn't make it. We never check our voice mail."

We check our home voice mail about once every two weeks. Everyone knows that no one calls people at home anymore. In fact, when my home phone rings, I actually am shocked, like, "What is that sound? Who the hell could be calling me at home? I don't even know my home phone number! What? Who? Ga!"

We also check our mailbox about once every ten days. This is because everyone knows that you don't send mail in the mail anymore. You e-mail people. Or you call them on your cell. Or you text message them. Unless your sending a wedding invite, or a Thank You card.

When The Fiance brought in the mail last night, for the first time in about three weeks, I was super excited, almost as exicted as I get for Mother's Day (Hi fiance! If you're reading this, which I doubt, but if you are, 'Hi!' and don't forget about the most important day of the year, Mother's Day!)

Anyway, bills and other crap were in the mail. But so was a Post Card! For me! The last time I remember getting a post card was when I was in summer camp. This is what the post card I got in the mail yesterday said:

"Hi Rebecca, it's Julia writing from Aritzia! Thanks for shopping with us. I hope you're enjoying your French Terry Sweat pants! Good choice, they are very comfortable. Remember to wash in cold and lay flat to dry so you avoid shrinking them! Stop by soon, we have some great stuff in! Julia."

Ok, first, who the heck is Julia? Second, I actually don't remember going to Artizia. I certainly don't remember buying French Terry Sweat pants! What exactly are French Terry Sweat Pants?

And, truthfully, it kind of creeps me out that some saleslady, named Julia, actually remembers what I bought. But even more weird is the fact she's giving me laundry advice - on a post card.

Not to say that I didn't shop at Aritzia and buy French terry Sweat pants. I mean, I probably did. And, I guess, it was nice of Julia to take the time and write me a post card. Actually, I think it's really very nice.

It kind of makes me want to go back to Aritzia and find this Julia and say, "Thank you for the post card. It was very thoughtful of you."

And it kind of makes me wonder where the heck my French Terry Cloth sweat pants are. Because even though I probably did buy a pair, I certainly don't remember wearing them.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Heehee! that's pretty funny.

My husband once got a postcard from a dealership (girl) thanking him for stopping by to look at vehicles, it brightened her day. I was like WTF?! Who does that? I mean it's not like he bought a car or anything, ease up a little. He laughed and thought it was funny, I however didn't see the humor in it.

9:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember you talking about this store a month or so ago...so being the nerd I am, I did a qick search and found this:
Tuesday, March 28, 2006
I'm such a sucker!
You did go there, after talking to your friend Kama about pants she had bought there.
Don't worry...we've all been there...completely forgetting where we put those newly bought items...speaking of which, where is that new necklace of mine?!
-Pandy

6:30 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

THAT is customer service for ya! Oh, and french terry pants- it's the material. They are the ones that feel and look like a towel. LOL. Last time I wore my pair of terry capris around my 3 year old neice she said "I love your towel Aunt Kristen." LOL.

6:34 AM

 
Blogger kittenpie said...

Yeah, I get postcards from the lovely Colin at the Origins counter in the Bay to tell me about promotions. I thought the personal touch was a little funny too. like he really remembers me from the hundreds or thousands he sees every day?

9:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guerilla marketing 101. old hat. ;)

10:26 AM

 
Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Hahahah! You have a pair of stealth sweatpants in your house! A pair who slipped out, unseen, into your home and who are, at this very moment, sending reports back to 'Julia' on the numbers of dustbunnies under your bed.

-Blue

11:48 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh- and I would be uspet about a dealership girl saying my man brightened her day too- I'm the jealous type, lol. Can you tell?

11:53 AM

 
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

What's a postcard?

;)

6:17 AM

 
Blogger Sheena said...

I am a die hard postcard sender. Especially for relatives who don´t have email or go online and wonder where the hell I am.

Start sending postcards... they´re great... and cheaper than souvenirs.

Like just right now I´m sending a Che Guevera Birthplace museum one from Argentina to the workplace of the most right wing guy I know.

He´ll love it. I´m sure.

5:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home