Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Monday, April 17, 2006

Interesting People

Don't you love meeting interesting people? The kind of people who you just want to talk to for hours?

Well, I met a couple yesterday who I can't stop thinking about. I met them at the kid's pool at The Four Seasons in Scottsdale, Arizona. The In-Laws were staying there, so The Dictator and I have been hanging out with them.

Anyway, The Dictator met a friend, Amelia, in the kiddy pool. At first, I thought that the elderly couple watching Amelia were her grandparents. They looked at least 65 years old and were talking about a friend's 70th birthday party. But then Amelia called them "mommy" and "daddy."

Whoa, I thought. Really? I got into a conversation with Amelia's father, who was hilarious (How could you not love a man who was drinking margaritas at 11 a.m. and doing the crossword?)

He told me they adopted Amelia from Vietnam about three years ago, when she was nine months old. He told me she was left on a doorstep. I found it pretty fascinating how open he was about adopting her, and how she was found. And Amelia, who was extremely well-spoken, bright, and polite for a three year-old, obviously lives a charmed life in New York, vacationing all over the world at Four Seasons resorts.

I guess really what fascinated me the most was this couple's age. I wanted to know what was behind their adoption story. Why they decided to do it at such a late age, when most of their friends are probably grandparents. Don't get me wrong. I think it's fantastic. And they obviously love Amelia and she'll have a great life.

There was another couple, a young couple, also at the kiddy pool yesterday, with their adopted daughter from Guatemala. Their baby was so super cute too and I also wanted to know what was behind their story. Why did they decide to adopt?

I suppose I don't really know what the etiquette is when it comes to couples who have clearly adopted. Maybe it's just the journalist in me who always has questions, questions, questions.

I couldn't find Amelia today at the kiddy pool. I guess they went back to New York. And I'll never know the answers. But, still, I can't stop thinking about them. I can't stop thinking about adopting.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angelina, is that you? No wait - Jessica!

7:10 AM

 
Blogger Good Things I Find said...

A friend of mine adopted a little girl from China a couple of years ago. She was 40 and her husband 50. You're right the stories surrounding the adoption of their little girl,ss now 3 were interesting. They are now on a waiting list to go back for their second daughter.

8:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice that you want to adopt, but are you just doing it for the attention or to be more "interesting"?

Not saying you shouldn't adopt, it's a grwat thing, but think about your motives first.

-Scarlett

5:40 PM

 
Blogger Foxxy One said...

I've found that every adoption has an interesting story (or two or three) behind it. Feel free to read ours on my blog.

10:27 AM

 
Blogger Beastarzmom said...

We get the "grandkid" comment alot - we're in our 50s and adopted our little foster daughter last year. Our kids range in age from 25 to 4 now. But, hey, it's the best decision we've made to date. There's always a story, and most of them are wonderful.
doing the de-lurking thing - can't remember which link led me here, but I'll keep coming by!

11:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home