Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Monday, April 10, 2006

The Arrival of...Moses

For a brief moment yesterday, the second I saw The Dictator and when The Dictator saw me, I was reminded of the day she was born and the overwhelming emotion.

After eight l-o-n-g days of not seeing The Dictator, she finally arrived! When she saw me, she beamed, giggled and threw her arms around my neck. It felt awesome.

One of my best friends, who has four kids, also just came back yesterday after travelling with her husband to Vietnam for 8 days.

"Oh my god, I missed them so much," she said, when I asked if she missed her children. I could only imagine. I mean, if I missed The Dictator, one mini-human as much as I did, and then had to times that feeling by four, I don't think I could do it.

Anyway, I'm feeling happy, happy, happy.

And perplexed.

So Gwyneth had her second baby and she named him Moses. I like the name Moses. Not as much as I like the name Apple, mind you. And Moses Martin does have a certain ring to it.

But while I felt that her choice of the name Apple for her first born was an honest decision. I kind of feel like Gwyneth chose the name "Moses" to get people talking, not because she loved the name for her child. And that sort of bugs me.

Apple and Moses. "Here are my children. Apple and Moses," "Moses and Apple! Stop bickering!," "Get dressed Moses!"

I have to keep saying this over in my head because her choice of the name Moses just doesn't ring true to me. It's like she thought she had to pick a unique name or something and that she knew the world was waiting with abated breath to see what she would call her child.

Moses. Moses. Moses.

Maybe it will grow on me.

13 Comments:

Blogger Sandra said...

I know ... Moses. Its so contrived. But the woman was under a whole lotta pressure to live up to "apple" so she was clearly digging deep for the benefit of the media.

Glad the reunion with the Dictator was good. The first time I left my son for a few days he was so mad at me that he wouldn't talk to me for 2 hours when I first saw him. Ouch. Enjoy!

9:24 AM

 
Blogger Sheena said...

Maybe it's just that her favourite Simpsons character is the bartender guy.

9:44 AM

 
Blogger The City Gal said...

I can't imagine how hard it would be to be under the world's microscope!

But I heard that the publicist has offered an explanation:
- Moses was Gwen's father's name.
- Apple was also picked from the Bible. So, Moses and Apple, same origin.

Seems like these days people like to pick unique names for their kids. I think I'd rather stick with a traditional name, something with a historical identity (if you know what I mean): like Lilie, Earnest, Allen, Rose (and I don't mean just English)

10:53 AM

 
Blogger Sheena said...

Apple and Adam would have been funnier, if Biblical names are the justification.

2:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gwyneth's father's name was Bruce.

2:13 PM

 
Blogger Cindy said...

I agree, it does sound very contrived, but oh well. To each their own I guess. Not my sort of name that I would choose. It is better than the rumor she was going to name him Mortimer though, I think.

Glad the reunion was sweet.

2:23 PM

 
Blogger Jezer said...

Ahhhh...I can only imagine the sweetness of seeing the Dictator after eight (EIGHT!) whole days.

And Moses? Meh, it's OK. Funny, though--we called Alex "Mortimer" until the day he was born, so although not a name I'd seriously give a baby, it's special to me.

7:28 PM

 
Blogger petite gourmand said...

maybe brad and angie will try to one up gwyneth and name their kid jesus.

8:34 AM

 
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Moses was tougher than Jesus. I'm hoping that Angie goes really edgy and opts for 'Satan.'

(But Jennifer is probably betting on 'Judas')

11:39 AM

 
Blogger Stacy said...

first time here - hi! when i first read that story i was confused. i just don't get it. why moses? why not after her dad? i just thought it was weird.

7:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The baby is named Moses after a song Chris Martin wrote for Gwyneth.

8:33 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I kinda thought it was strange too. But now I know- after a song. That's kinda romantic. And I'm happy that you and your daughter are together again! I'd miss mine too! Have you gotten to a Target yet? LOL.

12:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude... you named your girl after Mr. Bean.

You are no Gweneth...what's your excuse?

3:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home