Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I'm back and happy and planning a party.

I have a lot to write about today, since I've been so not a very good blogger lately.

After my shit couple of weeks, I feel good about life again. Things are falling into place again. And, you guys, well, you really made me feel a lot better. Thank you.

And the person from Tag, who offered me a new watch, after the nanny thief incident, well, I really love you.

There were some of you, whose posts I chose not to post, because well, you were kind of mean. I know - how could I not? - that a lot of people have way worse things they go through than I do and did.

But, come on, we all complain about our lives sometimes don't we? Complaining is what we do. It's a sport, a hobby. And if I can't complain on my own blog, who can I complain to?

I went to Arizona last week, because, well, I felt I needed to get away. It did it's trick. I feel rested and happy. And I'll write more about this tomorrow, but I honestly now can see that I could be happy not working at all. I think.

I went with The Dictator and The Fiance joined us for the weekend. It was so nice to spend all day and all night with The Dictator. She's turning into a real person who I can have conversations with - until a bee flies by. Or she sees an empty cup. Anyway.

I didn't feel guilty at all taking her out of school. I mean, she's three.

She now says things like, "Mommy, are we going to the club today?" I know. I know. But it's not annoying when it comes from the mouth of a three year old. It's adorable.

The Dictator is now also all about the pee-nuth. She walks around saying, "I'm a girl. You're a girl. Daddy is a boy. He has a pee-nuth."

When she sees The Fiance in a bathing suit, she figures it out. "I have two pieces. You have one. You're a boy. You wear nothing on top," she'll say to him. "Mommy has two pieces too."

The funniest was when The Fiance was leaving the Arizona house. He was being picked up by the driver. The Dictator and I were outside as well, waving good bye to him. We were leaving the next day. She called out, "Daddy! You have a pee-nuth?"

How's that for a goodbye? Even the driver was like, "What did she just say?????"

I'm also in the midst of planning The Dictator's third birthday party. We went to a birthday party a couple weeks ago for a boy in her class. It was quite the event. The mother told me she planned it for six months. She also sent out thank you cards afterwards. How can I compete?

I have two weeks to plan The Dictator's party. I'm going to shake it up a bit (Since how many times can one go to Adventure Zone without losing their mind? - well, probably a lot.)

I'm going to have it at the house. I'm going to invite all the parents and even The Dictator's teachers. I'm going to have it between cocktail hour (4 p.m. to 7 p.m. - would that be mocktails for the kiddies?)

I'm going to have clowns, face painting, a caricturist. Some dude is coming over to put up helium balloons everywhere. I'm going to have it catered too for the adults. (the kids will get pizza.)

Here's the thing. I've realized I need to make an effort in meeting the other parents of kids in The Dictator's class. I figure the birthday party will be a good place to start doing that. I figure, too, why shouldn't parents have fun at a children's birthday party? Is it wrong to have a bartender?

I'm going to pay for it all with a smile. And thank god birthdays only happen once a year.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a nanny in Palm Beach I went to a two year old's birthday party complete with bar staff and waiters in tails. (They also had a lifeguard to make sure the kids didn't drown in the pool since the parents were drinking). A bit weird but also appreciated!

3:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get a designated driver if you are serving alcohol to the parents...
please.

7:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say if the kids are under 5 that a bartender is ok (lots of people drink beer at the bowling alley right?).
The thing about a private party & a bartender is that as the kids get older, probably much older then 5, there are risks associated with say, a two thirds finished ceaser sitting on the table, with that you must have prompt and efficient clean up staff, and personaly I think that may be too much (granted I have never been in the positions and could be a teensy weensy bit jealous).

10:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is awesome you are having snacks and drinks for the parents as well...and it is definitly nice to meet new people who also have kids.

5:23 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

That is so funny about the pee-nuth! hahaha.

My one year old daughter, Abby, likes to shout out at inappropriate times "Daddy a pen-ass, Abby geena!"

Glad you got to get away to refresh.

7:28 AM

 
Blogger Laural Dawn said...

I LOVE your birthday party idea. And, the thing is, I hate when I go to kids parties and there is nothing for the adults. Like, if you are serving the kids food, please just throw us a bone - crackers, something.
Alcohol. That would just be too much fun!
My son, too, is obsessed with all words involving genitals. It's funny. But, embarrassing when he talks about it with strangers. Or discusses it on the bus. Embarrassing!

9:29 AM

 
Blogger Gabriella said...

You know everyone has a right to bitch and complain, no matter what their situation!
I think making the party geared to both kids and the adults is great! Can we come?

10:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote earlier but I forgot to mention that your clown idea might backfire...ALOT of 3 year olds are freaked out by clowns. My 3 year old will not go anywhere close to clowns, Barney, the Easter Bunny etc. I thought it was just my child but I read up on it and it's actually quite common at that age.

10:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you KIDDING me....I am a teacher and there is NOTHING worse than some parent inviting you to some birthday party, dance recital, or hockey game during the FEW free hours that you have to yourself NOT raising their kids. The VERY last thing I want to do during "cocktail" hour is NOT be drinking a cocktail with MY friends. So does that mean the teacher should invte you to her kids 3rd brithday party or drivers test or wedding....because to her...the sun rises and sets on her kids, not yours. She's not your nanny or dirver or gardner. She is a teacher to many many children.

3:09 PM

 
Blogger Sheena said...

Not Tommy Lee's place, I guess.

3:29 PM

 
Blogger Sandra said...

Glad your feeling better. Nothing like a good party to kick up the spirits.

Sounds like fun ... the last kids birthday party I was at, the only food for the parents was if their kid was picky about the pizza and left an uneaten corner. I am so tired of those indoor playground parties. Yours sounds fabulous :)

5:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous : if you don't want to go then say no.

1:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your pretty rude being a teacher and all. Like she said, there's a regrets only on the invite.

5:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home